Thread: VAN'S RV Assembly workshop @ Oshkosh?

VAN'S RV Assembly workshop @ Oshkosh?

Hi, I was wondering if there is any home built workshop or particularity the VAN'S RV Assembly workshop available to do during the Oshkosh event?

Thanks, Russ
    Last edited by ellisr; 04-25-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Hi, Russ;

Not completely sure of your Oshkosh experiences, so forgive me if this appears too simplistic. As in, have you ever been there?

There are many many homebuilding activities available for everyone from complete novice to seasoned pro. Hey - that's our core mission!

Getting a bit ahead of myself, I'm assuming you're familiar with the series of weekend workshops that EAA provides around the country where you get deep into the intricacies of the various tasks. There is even a weekend workshop geared specifically to Van's planes.

That said, in recent years, there *have* been "weekend" workshops conducted during Convention week. I don't recall if they're the generic "metal aircraft fabrication" type classes or RV specific. Others will chime in here.... For these workshops, they are considered to be the same content as you would experience locally. As a result, there is the standard workshop fee, which is a few hundred dollars. You are basically dedicating 2 full days of your visit fully immersed. You can't wander around the grounds (well, I guess you *could* during lunch, etc...).

If you are more of a novice, though, here's where it gets good.

EVERY day, at 8 AM and noon, there are free 3-4 hr classes on all types of a/c construction. Metal, composite, fabric, etc. You have a short classroom presentation, followed by a few hours of hands-on experience. In the metal class you learn the types of rivets, dimensions, construction standards, and walk away with a small 4" "spar" section that you build. You learn dimpling, countersinking, deburring, flush rivets, domed rivets, etc.

Once you experience that, c'mon over to the AeroPlane Workshop, right across from Homebuilder's Hangar. The workshop is a less-structured demonstration area where we (I volunteer there...) assemble metal aircraft, wood aircraft, composites, etc. to help show that you, too, can build an airplane. While it's more of a demonstration and not hands-on per se, if you have a question about best way to deburr an aluminum part, we'll put the tools in your hands and help walk you through it to remove any doubts you might have.

Think of it all as a 4-step process to get you to invest the $$$ for a weekend workshop. 1. attend the 8am or 12noon workshops. 2. come see us in the Aeroplane Workshop 3. Attend a weekend class convenient to you. 4. Get building!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisr View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if there is any home built workshop or particularity the VAN'S RV Assembly workshop available to do during the Oshkosh event?

Thanks, Russ
    Hi Russ -

In addition to Carl's excellent and detailed response, I'll point out that there is a full two-day Van's RV Workshop scheduled for the Monday and Tuesday of AirVenture. You can find details (and other workshops offered at other locations) here: www.eaa.org/sportair.

Regards,

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Didn't a group build an RV-12 ? last year in the one week time

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Didn't a group build an RV-12 ? last year in the one week time
    Yep. Probably 20-30 builders going 8 hours a day. It was beneficial that the RV-12 is pre-punched and uses pop rivets.

The SportAir workshop at OSH for two days is a great opportunity - well worth the time! Here's the direct link to sign up for that session: https://www.eaa.org/Shop/SAW/Worksho...bly&id=2698615

There's also the same workshop being offered in Georgia in May (info on the same site linked above).

Depending on where you are located, there are some commercially available classes from other companies out there, too.

Of course, meeting up with someone who is already building can be a terrific way to see what goes into it. You're also quite welcome to stop by our (Van's Aircraft) booth to talk, and the Cleveland Tools booth will be right next to ours, and they'll provide and opportunity for some hands-on tool experience.

Note that there are also smaller forums/workshops available at OSH that can get you the "couple-of-hours" high-level experience.

All of the suggestions people have already provided are great ones. We look forward to seeing you at OSH!

Quote Originally Posted by ellisr View Post

Thanks, Russ

Yes, they do have a workshop from July 22-23 on Van's Assembly. They have limited spots and a registration fee. So reserve your spot ASAP. For more information visit. https://eaa.org/Shop/SAW/Workshop_De...bly&id=2698615

I hope that is what you are looking for.