Thread: Fly In Camping Help

Fly In Camping Help

This will be my first year flying into Oshkosh to camp. I'm hoping to park in homebuilt camping and stay for 4 days. There are going to be four of us in the plane and three tents, plus one more from our group driving in with a fourth tent. The tents are all small and can fit in the footprint of the aircraft under the wing (Murphy Super Rebel), but what to do with the car? Is there somewhere a car can be parked for 4 days without moving?

Also one of us is not a big camper and any advice on what can be done to get a homebuilt parking spot near the showers would be much appreciated. What's the worse can scenario? Five minute walk? Ten? More?

Thank you

Park it at the dorms and take the bus over to Convention.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

HBC got some of the big yellow (smokejumper) showers last year which are pretty nice. I suspect you could walk from one end of HBC to the other in less than ten minutes. The showers are towards the rear so if you don't show up early, you'll be closer to the showers but further from the "show."

The trams always seem to be in flux, but last year they changed the end of the red line to loop around HBC rather than just running up to the North 40 and making a u-turn, so transportation should be better towards the rear of HBC than it had in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    HBC got some of the big yellow (smokejumper) showers last year which are pretty nice. I suspect you could walk from one end of HBC to the other in less than ten minutes. The showers are towards the rear so if you don't show up early, you'll be closer to the showers but further from the "show."

The trams always seem to be in flux, but last year they changed the end of the red line to loop around HBC rather than just running up to the North 40 and making a u-turn, so transportation should be better towards the rear of HBC than it had in the past.
    Actually HBC has had those showers for the last 3 years, and they also have put a shower trailer over in the south HBC expansion area near the Drone/UAV pavilion in addition to the two that are next to the HBC pavilion. The also have a latrine trailer with flush toilets.

Make sure you get credentials for the extra tents when you register as they seem pretty anal about that based upon what I've seen with campers next to us.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

My understanding is that there can be more than one tent to a plane, but they do have to be in the footprint and are supposed to be family. Some folks up there are quite practical when it comes to these things, and I suspect that the folks that ride in with you would be fine. The folks driving, though, might be up a particular creek sans propulsion. I needed to get some info on North Forty camping just now and asked about HBC while I had them on the phone. It turns out there is no associated car parking, and there is no overnight parking in the normal parking lots. Camp Scholler has an overflow parking lot for folks that don't want to leave their cars on their campsites that might be available, although I'm not sure they would allow that for HBC. Likewise, if one were to register / pay for camp Scholler, they might not be allowed to set up in HBC.
    My recommendation would be to just call HQ and see what they have to say about your exact scenario.

Actually, as long as you're not in the way and you PAY for multiple campsites, nobody much cares. The "one tent within footprint/family" is the policy for an additional tent on the same camping credentials (i.e., fee).

Quote Originally Posted by gmatejcek View Post
    ***SNIP*** It turns out there is no associated car parking, and there is no overnight parking in the normal parking lots. ***snip***
    As I said on 4/21, park the car in a dorm lot. There's cars there every hour of the day. No placard or pass or license plate notation made. Just don't park in a disabled or police spot. Take the bus to the grounds. At the end, take the bus back to the dorm and drive off.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Alternatively if you want the car closer, pay to park it at the Relleumtdat's Campground located just outside the Ultralight/Vintage back gates on Waupon and Knapp Roads.
    We had people park their car there who camped with us in Vintage.