Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Housing for 2 needed for airventure

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Thanks guys, but we are not going to spend several hours of each day driving to/ from Green Bay or Milwaukee. I go to Osh to relax, not to make it an ordeal of traffic.
    Yes, and that section of Interstate 41 between Oshkosh and Green Bay ranks right up there with the worst of California freeways for fast driving, aggressive tailgating, aggressive lane changes, and road boulders in the left lane. I drive it every year for Oshkosh as I usually camp in Peninsula State Park in Door County before Oshkosh and do I41 north and then south.

Coming from California every year for Oshkosh, that single stretch of road is the worst for traffic I run into in nearly 2400 miles

I guess it's a case of "ya pay ya money, and take ya choice."

I'm not found of crowds, loathe camping, have a bad knee, like real food, and am more than content to let military training be my final experience in dorm life.

So I don't make it to AirVenture very often. Other than the first couple of times, I've come only when there's been a very specific reason. Been there five times since ~'88... three times with (local) hotel rooms, twice with a rented room in a local house. Last time came with a free room at the Super-8 and a golf cart.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying an elevated rate for a local hotel, or having a longish drive to a cheaper hotel further away. After a long day of slogging through a Wisconsin summer, ending the day with an hour's drive in a comfortable car with air conditioning isn't that awful. The in-Oshkosh traffic jams are the worst, so if you don't stay on the field, you're going to be fighting traffic anyway. For me, the expenses were tax-deductable, so that helped.

If I were attending the show with multiple friends or family members, I'd look into renting an entire house (or an AirBNB, as has been mentioned). Sure, the rental fee for the house might be high, but it's not that bad split between six or eight people. Plus you usually get use of a kitchen, and most houses in Wisconsin have air conditioning.

Ron Wanttaja

"
    I'm not found of crowds, loathe camping, have a bad knee, like real food, and am more than content to let military training be my final experience in dorm life."

And here I thought I was the only one ….. lol

My current motel choice is some 50 miles from the airfield. Even factoring in fuel over my nine day stay, I calculate I'm 'saving' near a buck a mile vs staying someplace close to the event. Nuthin' anyone would call fancy, in fact it's run by a nice young man named Norman and his mother (haven't ever seen her though).

If close-by is the goal, I'd second the notion of using Airbnb if in a group to share the tithing.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ron one of us has a differbent opiinio and I don't think its me. One thing I discovered about the first morning or two about being in the air force, was there was no joy in spending the night in a big rom with 30 other men. Now to each his own, , but not me. I haven't been able to try it with 30 ladies , but it would be a lot better. Whoever advised the military on P R and salesmanship back then had a strange way of advertising.
    And as for food, one doesn't go to Airventure for the food. They've been trying every year to improve it and have made some progress, I'd give it about a C now. It's not like going out for a meal in Austin or Galveston. Its ok for me for a couple of days, but a week does get a bit old.

I have friends who rent a house, and its ok,but messy and I don't want to have to cook much during the week.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Ron one of us has a differbent opiinio....
    Damn. I always WANTED a differbent opiinio, but couldn't meet the height requirement. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

You guys do realize that you can find places to rent including hotels in Neenah and Menasha which are about 15 minutes north of Oshkosh and then there is Appleton about 5-10 minutes up the road from there. The problem with being offsite is the drive in. We commute from Waupaca about 35 miles NW and there are times I wished we had just camped.
    Parking has become problematic as the place is kinda one way in and one way out. The time to just get parked can be frustrating if not in place by 0800. Additionally EAA in its infinite wisdom did away with the Orange lot at least for general parking which was too bad as it was just across from HBC. Walking back to your car in the more distant lots after a long day can be a “March or die” experience.��
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I read that Appleton held the record for the highest dewpoint in the country, so A/C is really nice when the cinder block dorms are emitting the heat they accumulated over the day.
    The Oshkosh Convention & Visitors Bureau no longer has a registry of people renting their homes during our convention. They refer people to Airbnb or VRBO

Dave, thanks for your suggestion, I looked and Neenah and it's either sold out or expensive or marginal, sort of like Oshkosh.

Last year the only place I could find some property for rent in USA was here. Nowadays you still can find some good options. In June-July it will be impossible to find due to amount of people interested to go there.

Bill, Private message sent.