Thread: Question about buying a LSA quicksilver type- how should I proceed?

Question about buying a LSA quicksilver type- how should I proceed?

Howdy all,
    Looking for some advice from experienced folks. I've never purchased an aircraft and have recently started looking online. Almost all the aircraft are hundreds of miles away and while I have some aviation experience, I'm not an A&P and I don't know the way these types of inspections/sales/purchases are typically handled.
    If I find something I am seriously interested in do I hire an A&P (local to that area) to go there and check out the aircraft for me?
    I don't have the time available to drive 500 miles to casually look at every plane I want to know more about.
    I feel like the way to go is to get an impartial opinion from someone on site and then make an offer, and once a deal is reached, go pick up the aircraft w/a trailer.
    Any info on how this stuff actually works would be helpful. I don't want to make odd requests or overlook something due to inexperience.
    Quicksilver type LSA on floats (hopefully) is what I'm going for.
    Thanks!

People often hire an A&P to do a prebuy inspection when they can't be there themself. The problem is finding an A&P who knows anything about ultralight construction or 2-stroke engines.

Ok, that's certainly a point worth noting. I figured a 2 stroke would be easy for a mechanic to look over.
    Airframe is obviously a concern, would an A&P be the person to give an assessment as to safe vs. unsafe condition... corrosion, stress cracks etc? Is there some other person I should have looking at an aircraft like this before I get serious about buying?

Quote Originally Posted by Trapperjeff View Post
    Is there some other person I should have looking at an aircraft like this before I get serious about buying?
    Somebody who's familiar with ultralights. Where is it located?

The Quicksilverultralightowners yahoo group is a good place to start. It's possible one of the members of that group may even be familiar with any particular aircraft.

I don't have one in particular at this point. I'm just starting to look around and noticed almost everything was too far away for me to look at personally.

To a trained A&P, everything about an Quicksilver ultralight is going to look "unsafe" so you'll have to find a person versed in ultralight construction if you want someone to evaluate it before you buy.

I always buy first, inspect and repair as needed once I get it home.

Same for me.
    I just offer a fair price assuming it needs everything I can't see easily.
    It is like adopting a child. I would not have someone else do the travel.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.
    This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Unfortunately there's no one local who flys these things for me to ask.
    Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

How about seek out the nearest Quicksilver dealer and let them kow you're looking for a good used craft? I'm thinking along the same lines as buying a used car from a new car dealer, rather than a private individual or a sand lot crook.lol

Here's the most recent list from the company website:

http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/dealers.php
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 04-24-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Trapperjeff I bet you could google "ultralight flightpark" or "ultralight airpark" in South Florida and come up with a handful of hits. Take a Sunday drive and go visit. Should be able to find someone or at least get contact info for someone with Quicksilver knowledge in the area. If that doesn't pan out, maybe you can get in contact with a dealer as Randy suggested and ask if they could provide a checklist for buying a used Quicksilver. There are also Quicksilver message boards or forums on the internet.