Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update needs updated

And another early evening on opening day for me. Would have liked to know what other choices they had to pick from.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Steber View Post
    Would have liked to know what other choices they had to pick from.
    Stones, Dylan, Kinks, Jefferson Starship, PM and Wings, Who, Country Joe & the Fish, Ten Years After, Procol Harem, The Band and the Ohio Express.

I know The Fray, they're very good but IMO, I don't believe this is the appropriate venue for their music. I don't believe their music style will be appreciated by an Osh audience.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 04-18-2019 at 08:42 PM.

For me The Fray is a middling rock band at best and although most of the time I'd watch them for free, I'd certainly never pay to see them. This year, as I have a better option occurring at the same time (the Van's RV social), I'm going to pass. Getting a marquee, tier-1 band to play OSH or pick a music genre that appeals to everyone is an exercise in futility. Dierks Bentley from a few years ago, IMO, is about as close as you're going to get and I bet his being a pilot had a lot to do with it. As to the crowd size, I think it will be about average as it appears to me that goodly portion is made up of locals who stay after the airshow for the concert so EAA probably factors that intotheir calculus vs trying to cater just to the core membership. Personally I think that's a good thing since my musical taste lean heavily towards rock, classic rock, and country and especially after reading the band suggestions that get posted in these annual concert threads. The bottom-line for us is attending OSH has nothing to do with the concert, it's just a bonus if we happen to like the acts (I personally enjoyed REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, and Dierks, and my wife and 20yr old daughter liked Dustin Lynch last year). Anyway just my $.02.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

BEST ever OSH concert imho was Chicago, followed closely by the Beach Boy. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy played at the Ford tent one year and I will seek them out. Haven’t attended any in last many years mostly just cuz I usually have other invites. Definitely hate country or stuff I’ve never heard of. For us, the concert is a nice add on but no reason to attend. EAA is kinda like church in that they want to attract out-of-demographic (I.e., old guys) folks but who do they come to for $$$. Don’t get me wrong - I’m a chapter officer, donate, and volunteer every year, so I drink the Koolaid.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    ... The bottom-line for us is attending OSH has nothing to do with the concert, it's just a bonus if we happen to like the acts...
    +1
    The sole reason for attending is the flying machines and the interesting people whom I usually meet in the dining hall of the U of O (W).

Many true statements. No, I've never gone because of the concert. After all, they have only been having them the last 10 years or so. This year will be my 50th in a row. For me, if there's going to be a concert, I'd rather it be someone I'd be interested in hearing/seeing. No big deal. As Carl said, it's a nice add-on. If it's not, I just get an earlier start to Tuesday.

Off the topic of the concerts, but I see another update that needs updated. According to a February 28 news release "Fly-In Theater Lineup Extended", they have added movies on the Saturday and Sunday before opening day, but the schedule under the Features & Attractions, Evening Programming tab as of May 1 still does not show these two movies. And that is where most people will do their planning from, not reading old news releases.

Dave