Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2019 NOTAM

The more I learn the happier I am to NOT be involved in, or even worse responsible for, the 'minor' process of safely, conveniently and quickly processing some 10,000 aircraft with their complete array of inherent capabilities or lack of them, piloted by folks possessing the full spectrum of aviation ability, over a few hectic days.

I just spend 9 days yapping on a microphone being dragged around the grounds by a John Deere - lol
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 04-22-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

The NOTAM is out -- https://eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVen...019-NOTAM.ashx After a cursory read through, the only major change I noted is the addition of a Fond Du Lac diversion procedure plus some minor IFR changes.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    The NOTAM is out -- https://eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVen...019-NOTAM.ashx After a cursory read through, the only major change I noted is the addition of a Fond Du Lac diversion procedure plus some minor IFR changes.
    This is a good thing. I was afraid we were going to get the aviation version of the tax code...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    This is a good thing. I was afraid we were going to get the aviation version of the tax code...
    I agree 100%. Hey when you guys fly up how do you typically plan your flight (ie departure time, stops, and target arrival)? In the past we typically fly to and spend the night with friends that Friday so that we can fly into Osh late Saturday morning IFR. Now coming from Tampa vs Virginia I've got to rethink that plan so I'm looking for ideas.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 05-02-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Don't give them any ideas!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I agree 100%. Hey when you guys fly up how do you typically plan your flight (ie departure time, stops, and target arrival)? In the past we typically fly to and spend the night with friends that Friday so that we can fly into Osh late Saturday morning IFR. Now coming from Tampa vs Virginia I've got to rethink that plan so I'm looking for ideas.
    The plan is always to launch from Atlanta at dawn on Saturday, fly to the Chicago area (often Aurora), take on fuel, empty bladders, and press on to Oshkosh. In theory, it should take 4.5-5 hours. Optimally, that lands us at Oshkosh before 11 AM local.

Occasionally, it even works out that way.

When I lived in SoCAL, I would depart at least a day early, RON (Remain Over Night) somewhere approximately 1-hour to 1.5-hours from OSH. When I lived in the Pittsburgh PA area, I did the same but have also been known to depart the same day and go straight there with a fuel stop so as to have more than 1/2 fuel when I arrived OSH. Have also done The Mass Arrival thing. Last year was the worst. One year Wx prevented me departing Southwestern PA till late Sunday afternoon. I arrived OSH 20-minutes before the airport closed. That trip was a lot like most Class D airport arrivals other than flying the NOTAM ground track to get to the airport. Last year, I departed my new home in NC and RON about 1-hour from OSH. Wx was such that I was not certain that I was going to get to OSH on Sunday. Wx went VFR and all the people that had the same ideas were in the air on their way to OSH at the same time. I have used AirNav.com to plan a trip with fuel stops to located airports that did not have excessive fuel prices and I have also used Foreflight to find airports without excessive fuel prices. Five or Ten cents a gallon fuel price delta does not bother me. That is only a $2 or $3 price delta on a fill up but locations that have a $1 per gallon price will end up costing me $20 to $30 more on a fill up. Hope this helps.
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been,
    and there you will always long to return.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

My plan is to be VERY flexible. Ideally, my plan is much like others described here. I depart northern Virginia on Friday, RON an hour and a half away from OSH and arrive on Saturday noonish. This gives me various weather related options, such as leave early Friday and arrive Friday late afternoon. (Less than optimal because nothing is running at OSH yet.) Do the same thing Saturday. Depart Saturday, RON and arrive Sunday. This also allows for various weather related routing options other than my preferred, straight across the lake route.

Going home is similar. The difference is that the prevailing winds often allow me to leave Saturday afternoon and still make it home that evening.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Download Notam available but has the printed version been mailed?

There is not room at Fon du Lac for anywhere near all the airplanes that normally land at Oshkosh to divert there. I hope EAA / FAA has more plan than that in case of bad weather, again. Appleton can hold many more planes, and has good bus to Oshkosh, but there may need to be 3rd alternates also.