Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AirVenture 2019 NOTAM

Exclamation AirVenture 2019 NOTAM

Does anyone have any idea on when the 2019 arrival NOTAM will be available for download?

There was talk of a MAJOR redo following the 2018 arrival fiasco. The odds of having the perfect storm of weather before AirVenture 2019 is very slim of the same arrival fiasco happening in 2019.

I plan to go to AirVenture 2019 regardless of the changes the NOTAM brings. It is possible that 2018 may be the last year that my airplane attends with me flying it if there is a LONGER 90 KIAS required flight path to get to Oshkosh.
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been,
    and there you will always long to return.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hi Gary, the 2019 NOTAM should be available by late April or early May. We'll be coming out with more details on the changes soon. Thanks!
    Last edited by Sam Oleson; 04-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Sam, please don't screw it up too much, the procedures worked pretty well for most years, don't measure everything by last year. Why does anyone worry about a notam 3 months in advance or a ticket?

I need to PAY for my lodging and IF I must fly my aircraft at 90 KIAS for more than 15-minutes, I will NO LONGER take an aircraft to AirVenture. I will NOT spend as many days at AirVenture and may not go at all. EXPERIMENTAL aircraft are not tested as well as CERTIFICATED aircraft and typically are not optimized for engine cooling at low speed flight. This also becomes a problem with long taxi times on the ground.
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

for there you have been,
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Hi Gary,

I confess to having slight polite and sane 'envy/jealousy/admiration' of all you folks who have the amazing good fortune to own and operate aircraft, Good Onya mate! From your short list of conditions (no long taxis or slow arrival flight pattern) that to ME seem impossible to promise or guarantee, it sure sounds like you'll be attending AirVenture in your car, as the majority of us who come each year and pay for our lodging will?

On a 'plus' side, YOU get to own and operate an airplane the whole rest of the year, every year. So you got that going for ya', which IMHO is mighty darn nice.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Gary,
    If your experimental Homebuilt qualifies as Light Sport you may use the Light Sport/ Ultralight runway and arrival with no speed mandated.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Hi Gary,

I confess to having slight polite and sane 'envy/jealousy/admiration' of all you folks who have the amazing good fortune to own and operate aircraft, Good Onya mate! From your short list of conditions (no long taxis or slow arrival flight pattern) that to ME seem impossible to promise or guarantee, it sure sounds like you'll be attending AirVenture in your car, as the majority of us who come each year and pay for our lodging will?

On a 'plus' side, YOU get to own and operate an airplane the whole rest of the year, every year. So you got that going for ya', which IMHO is mighty darn nice.
    We all lose a little bit if Gary doesn't fly in. We wouldn't get to see Gary's plane, and he might not come without it. Even if we didn't notice who and what wasn't there, we would miss out on something.

Not to mention what Gary would miss out on. Not just AirVenture, but, for many of us who fly in, flying-in is an important part of the experience.
    Last edited by dougbush; 04-21-2019 at 11:59 PM.

The Experimental aircraft already qualifies for prefered parking as it has more than 1,000 hours of flight time and more than 20-years of flight time.

The airplane wears an Oshkosh sticker on its baggage compartment for every year it has attended AirVenture. I am the pilot that has flown it there for each of the stickers.

Name:  2019-04-22 08.28.03.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  92.8 KB
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

for there you have been,
    - Leonardo da Vinci

Apologies to Gary if my comments were taken in a way not intended. I guess after seeing all the stickers I'm kinda surprised that the plane has not seen extended taxiing or more than 15 minutes of slower flight to arrive/depart AirVenture over the 20 years, with the understanding that either or both of those conditions are his determinants of whether or not he brings the plane again?

I agree that anything that diminishes one member's experience diminishes us all a little. My comment solely relates to the impossibility of any NOTAM or ground taxi policy assuring no delays in arrival movements or slow movement once on the ground for an individual airplane.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Apologies to Gary if my comments were taken in a way not intended. I guess after seeing all the stickers I'm kinda surprised that the plane has not seen extended taxiing or more than 15 minutes of slower flight to arrive/depart AirVenture over the 20 years, with the understanding that either or both of those conditions are his determinants of whether or not he brings the plane again?

I agree that anything that diminishes one member's experience diminishes us all a little. My comment solely relates to the impossibility of any NOTAM or ground taxi policy assuring no delays in arrival movements or slow movement once on the ground for an individual airplane.
    I think everyone understands that unanticipated events, like extended taxi times, are the exception and not the rule and that the best laid plans can go awry. I think what concerns Gary and many of us are changes to the NOTAM that potentially could make these events more likely if not common. For example, I can tell you from experience that there's a lot of pilots out that have trouble maintaining airspeed and altitude or flying over the dang railroad tracks (not half mile to either side). So increasing the time and distance that pilots have to do this, which has been proposed with a longer arrival waypoint sequence, will most likely not solve the issues that developed during last year's first Sat-Sun arrivals.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!