Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob builds an aircraft carrier

Quote Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
    I had not considered making it into a fuel carrier. Did you run into any vehicle regulations or limitations?

It is a lot more attractive to carry gas on a trailer instead of in the trunk or hatchback of the car. My plane has a 15 gallon capacity and lugging around a bunch of 5 gallon cans is not my idea of 'fun' nor safe.

Bob Wilson

Bob:
    I didn't ask. I have found, in my 30 years as a plumbing & electric contractor, when you start asking questons, you get all kinds of answers, whether the person you ask really knows the correct answer or not. I don't have any placards of any kind on the tank so no one knows if it's solvent, gas, diesel or whatever.
    I just put it behind my pickup, pulled it to town (Oklahoma City, OK) filled it up & pulled it home. Matter of fact, I pulled it to my business, parked out front for a while, then went home. I never really gave the transportion thing a thought, just build it & use it.
    This is the same tank that I put in the back of my pickup, filled it with gas (110 gal), then headed for OSH this past summer. Gasoline is cheaper in OK than in a lot of other states.
    I waited til I got to OSH to start using out of it so I'd know where I wanted to make the most use of it. Pulling a 38' 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton GMC at 6 mpg, it didn't take too long to empty it.
    You could put a receiver hitch on your car & get/build a small carrier to slide into it. That would keep the fumes out of the vehicle. Sound like you don't really plan to haul much gas at a time anyway. You might even find a junked 20 or so gal weed sprayer that the tank is still good but the pump & stuff is shot. Make sure the plastic is compatible, but then again, gas "cans" are plastic.
    The reason I have the 110 gallon tank is I live on an airpark & have my own hangar. I don't have to answer to any FBO or............. I don't see any difference in storing a 110 gal tank in there, than 3 airplanes & a couple of vehicles with full tanks of fuel.
    Keep in mind, all this advice is worth just exactly what you paid for it.

Marshall Alexander

Every time I read the title of this thread, I think you built one of these:

Name:  476px-USS_Roosevelt_CV-42_Med_1976-77.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  77.9 KB

Or is that maybe your next project?

I don't have any placards of any kind on the tank so no one knows if it's solvent, gas, diesel or whatever.
    I'd go with NON POTABLE in big stencils. That ain't lying!

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I'd go with NON POTABLE in big stencils. That ain't lying!

That's true. But then again, you're drawing more attention to yourself.

Marshall Alexander