Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle-Mounted Camera Video

Axle-Mounted Camera Video

I clamped a GoPro to the axle of my Fly Baby and shot a couple of patterns. It's an interesting POV, since the camera is only ~8 inches above the asphalt. One guy said it looked like a go-kart video until the plane took off.

Normally, I fly a high approach and slip down. Got distracted this time, kept it high too long, so this slip is a bit more aggressive.

Ron Wanttaja

Very sweet!

I was not expecting that landing.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Neat video. I assume the music was added rather than listening to the jet engine whine?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Very sweet!

I was not expecting that landing.
    Neither was I, apparently. I normally come in a bit high and slip in, just to have a bit of altitude in the bank if the engine fails. Like your Nieuport, the power-off approach in the Fly Baby is to throw a brick out and fly formation with it.

For some reason, I turned base quite a bit earlier than normal, and ended up with a crap-ton of excess altitude. The Fly Baby slips like a sonovagun, and I used all of it on that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Neat video. I assume the music was added rather than listening to the jet engine whine?
    Actually, most of my life seems to be accompanied by Gilbert and Sullivan music. "The Pirate King" is playing when I get up, "From the Sunny Spanish Shore" whenever I take a ferryboat, "Loudly Let the Trumpets Bray" when I fly, and "The Headache Song" whenever I log into the EAA forum.

I know there are some folks out there who get offended when people eliminate the "natural" soundtrack to aviation videos and dub in music instead. For them, I offer this:

http://www.wanttaja.com/st.mp3

This is the actual sound that was recorded by the camera during my flight. Call up the YouTube video, disable sound, and start the video and this audio track at the same time.

Crank up the volume, if you like.

Ron "Titwillow" Wanttaja

P.S., this is serious...that MP3 *is* the original soundtrack for the video.
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 04-06-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I know there are some folks out there who get offended when people eliminate the "natural" soundtrack to aviation videos and dub in music instead.
    If the sound is good, like a a big radial engine ship taking off, I agree with those folks. But for airborne videos when all you'd hear is wind noise mixed with the steady drone of a modern engine, well selected music can make the video a lot less boring. I like to start my videos with no music, and fade the music in around the time the original sound would get annoying or boring, but I mix the original soundtrack with the music at a lower level. Extra points if the music matches the video in content and/or timing. I'm pretty pleased with how the music matched at touchdown at the end of this one:

[QUOTE=Dana;75089]If the sound is good, like a a big radial engine ship taking off, I agree with those folks. But for airborne videos when all you'd hear is wind noise mixed with the steady drone of a modern engine, well selected music can make the video a lot less boring. I like to start my videos with no music, and fade the music in around the time the original sound would get annoying or boring, but I mix the original soundtrack with the music at a lower level. Extra points if the music matches the video in content and/or timing. I'm pretty pleased with how the music matched at touchdown at the end of this one:

Agreed. Sometimes a little music adds to the effect of the video:

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    II like to start my videos with no music, and fade the music in around the time the original sound would get annoying or boring, but I mix the original soundtrack with the music at a lower level.
    That really worked nicely. I'm going to do it this way in the future.

As you mentioned, a lot of the fun is finding ways to synchronize the music with the action on the video.

Ron Wanttaja

I think it all depends on the video - I've done it just about every which way, with no music, music coming in over wind and engine sound, and all music.

Some videos just beg to be "in the raw" with wind and engine noises; when things are interesting enough on their own it can actually be distracting to have music. Other times it's required, especially when dealing with slow aircraft where speeding up the footage is best. The biggest advantage of mixing engine and wind sounds with music is if one is sure that even a small sampling is going to be tagged - fair use is nearly dead on YouTube - and rolling some noise under it can thwart the music bots.

Clearly I'm no master - my YouTube channel wishes it had the rating of the old local access cable channels - but I'm pretty pleased with the results in the main.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I've edited several ways, here is one example of using both air-borne audio and music:

And one with just music:

Both videos shot with sub-$50 Chinese GoPro clones.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 04-07-2019 at 06:51 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Of course music can completely alter the perception of action:

[edit]

I love how Sam can fly in a regular cap and no goggles. I guess my windscreen isn't large enough, but I can't stand the wind blowing into my eyes, even around glasses.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 04-08-2019 at 02:07 PM.