Thread: Any Updates for Camp Scholler for 2019?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Updates for Camp Scholler for 2019?

I had to miss last year due to my new job, but I'll be there this year, and should be there for the Friday prior all the way through the last Sunday. I'm a tent camper. 2017 was a pretty rough year for tenting... I was surrounded on three sides by people who ran generators beyond the times they were allowed. One belched noxious gases, which didn't taste so nice for breakfast.

It's starting to feel like if you don't have a decal that says "Newmar" or "Prevost" on your unit, or at the very least if your sleeping quarters don't have wheels, you don't really matter. Tenters are getting pushed out near the highway, which is incredibly loud at night, and coincidentally also tends to be the low ground... not great for tenting.

Are there any updates to make camping, and specifically tenting, less miserable? Between the generators and soppy low lands, I'm considering renting a camper this year. Which is too bad, because that means about $1,200 less money in EAA's pockets that I'm spending on renting a trailer vs. buying from vendors, food, etc.

Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground just about always has tent space available. And it only 1/2 mile from the main gate.

My understanding after volunteering in the campground for many years was that tent campers were not allowed in motorhome areas due to generator exhaust. I am surprised you were not asked to leave whatever area you were in, for your own safety.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    My understanding after volunteering in the campground for many years was that tent campers were not allowed in motorhome areas due to generator exhaust. I am surprised you were not asked to leave whatever area you were in, for your own safety.
    I don't believe there are any motorhome areas as such, just 24 hour generator areas. The only place I know of that tents are not allowed is in the new "improved" areas with the electric and water hookups. Motorhomes can park pretty much anywhere they can find room, but motorhome, trailer, tent, or anything else outside the 24 hour generator area is not supposed to run them after certain hours. I would think that if someone insisted on running their generator after hours outside the 24 hr area, a call to security might be in order.

Also, I would have to review the map to verify, (and the updated Camp Scholler map for this year probably won't be available until shortly before the show opens,) but I believe there is a small area where generators are not allowed at all.

Tents are also not allowed in the 24 hour generator area. I'm a tenter as well, and it gets harder to find a spot every year. I had a regular spot for many years, but it became the generator area a few years ago, and I've had to find a new spot every year since.

Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post
    I don't believe there are any motorhome areas as such, just 24 hour generator areas. The only place I know of that tents are not allowed is in the new "improved" areas with the electric and water hookups. Motorhomes can park pretty much anywhere they can find room, but motorhome, trailer, tent, or anything else outside the 24 hour generator area is not supposed to run them after certain hours. I would think that if someone insisted on running their generator after hours outside the 24 hr area, a call to security might be in order.

Also, I would have to review the map to verify, (and the updated Camp Scholler map for this year probably won't be available until shortly before the show opens,) but I believe there is a small area where generators are not allowed at all.
    You are absolutely right, I stand corrected. Unless he was in that 24 hour gen area he should have been fine.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    You are absolutely right, I stand corrected. Unless he was in that 24 hour gen area he should have been fine.
    Sorry, I should have made that clear... I was in general camping (around Cedar & 29th, against the tree line adjacent to the field), which was not 24 hour generator.

A security guy did swing through one night, noticed the generator was running well after 10 (probably 11 at this time), and... nothing happened. The guy on the other side felt justified in running his generator(s) slightly outside of normal hours because he had the "quiet" Honda generators, and he really needed the A/C in his 5th wheel.

It's pretty frustrating that the tenters are basically being pushed out to the highway despite being in accommodations that make sleeping by a highway pretty miserable. Wearing hearing protection while sleeping is not an option for some people (I don't mind it, but my wife simply can't go to sleep with something stuck in her ears).

It's a common complaint that does not seem to be getting any traction because the $$ that campers/motorhomes bring in.

I've considered some of the other campgrounds around the area, but we visit the campsite a few times a day (lunch, dinner, refresh before the airshows, etc).

Does anyone have any experiences to share from Relleumtdats? I know it's first come, first serve, but other than that, I can't find out any information, such as any generator restrictions, how much space you get, etc.

I should add: I'm not trying to be a grump or whiner. I'd simply like to have a nice night sleep, and enjoy our camping experience without a generator belching noise and smoke next to my site. Pretty simple ask.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    I had to miss last year due to my new job, but I'll be there this year, and should be there for the Friday prior all the way through the last Sunday. I'm a tent camper. 2017 was a pretty rough year for tenting... I was surrounded on three sides by people who ran generators beyond the times they were allowed. One belched noxious gases, which didn't taste so nice for breakfast.

It's starting to feel like if you don't have a decal that says "Newmar" or "Prevost" on your unit, or at the very least if your sleeping quarters don't have wheels, you don't really matter. Tenters are getting pushed out near the highway, which is incredibly loud at night, and coincidentally also tends to be the low ground... not great for tenting.

Are there any updates to make camping, and specifically tenting, less miserable? Between the generators and soppy low lands, I'm considering renting a camper this year. Which is too bad, because that means about $1,200 less money in EAA's pockets that I'm spending on renting a trailer vs. buying from vendors, food, etc.
    Several weeks ago, I was travelling on 41 and noticed a pile of steel on the south end of the campground. What are they up to now?