Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Updates for Camp Scholler for 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I highly recommend this campground.

http://www.sleepyhollowfarm.com/
    This campground has been fully booked since January 8th....just called and been told that. Good to know for next year, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    ...I'm not averse to some noise, but generators can be pretty darn loud and using them well past time limits can be very, well, wrong. Plus whoever thought pushing tents to the lowest grounds was a good idea should be fired
    There are always idiots with generators. I haven't had a problem with off hour use in the past other than one or two who just can't "remember" what the cutoff time is or "just forgot what time it is."

More of a hassle is the increasing number of generators. They're everywhere and many run all evening up to the cutoff. Some morons bring the cheapest Chinese crap with the loudest exhaust possible. Of course, they maneuver the generator on the "other" side of their camper so they don't hear it when they're sitting outside, but now it's right next to you. Three years ago, I arrived on Friday, set up camp, and about 1PM, the moron next door started up his Harbor Freight special. I tore down my camp and moved.

I wish there were large no generator zones.

In 2017, there was a nice large "no generator" zone near the checkin kiosk. In 2018, that all got converted to car parking, and there wasn't any no generator zone that I could find.

And, yes, the tents are being pushed more and more to the south to make room for the ever increasing onslaught of motor homes. It's crazy to see the size of these things and the 'estates' that get roped off around them to set up golf carts, awnings, tables, etc. No way are they in the 'standard' footprint for one camping ticket.

Whew, I sound like a grumpy old man, don't I?

Wow....this just sounds like a good idea to save my pennies and try for off grounds accommodations----or none at all. I'm not a camper, never was, but thought this is the only way to do the full show without going broke. As I've already bought all the camping equipment I'd need for this show, I might just give this a go anyway this year and if it's truly horrible I'll just leave. But I'm driving 1300 miles from NYC to get there and I'd hate to do that for nothing. Wow, just wow.......

Wow....this just sounds like a good idea to save my pennies and try for off grounds accommodations----or none at all. I'm not a camper, never was, but thought this is the only way to do the full show without going broke. As I've already bought all the camping equipment I'd need for this show, I might just give this a go anyway this year and if it's truly horrible I'll just leave. But I'm driving 1300 miles from NYC to get there and I'd hate to do that for nothing. Wow, just wow.......
    So as you are discovering, there’s multiple campsite options with varying rates of availability this close to the show. And although you are planning to camp, you can also check out the various other non-camping, non-hotel options like the UW college dorms, AirBNB, etc. You still might be able to secure one of those, especially with your bad back. You can research them all from this site: https://eaa.org/airventure/plan-your...ng/eaa-lodging
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 05-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Don't let a few post scare you away, there are plenty of tent campers that camp right on the grounds. Check out some of the camp Scholler tours on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHrhsMddpEc EAA has one from last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YOO09DwsU. This should give you an idea how big it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    So as you are discovering, there’s multiple campsite options with varying rates of availability this close to the show. And although you are planning to camp, you can also check out the various other non-camping, non-hotel options like the UW college dorms, AirBNB, etc. You still might be able to secure one of those, especially with your bad back. You can research them all from this site: https://eaa.org/airventure/plan-your...ng/eaa-lodging
    I've been checking out other off grounds choices but as expected, they are more expensive than even renting a camper for the week....so camping may be my only resource, at least for this year. Lesson learned, doing this starting in January for next year. Thanks again for all your help, it's really appreciated.
    Mike

Wow....this just sounds like a good idea to save my pennies and try for off grounds accommodations----or none at all.
    I'm the OP for this thread. While there are significant annoyances, there really isn't anything better than staying at Scholler. The access to the airshow grounds is unparalleled. I've considered off-airport accommodations, but there are *significant* trade-offs. Staying at Scholler allows you to drop by your site to freshen up, or grab lunch, or even better, grab a full dinner before the evening airshows without having to fight traffic on the way in. Speaking of traffic, it can be pretty bad in the morning getting onto the show grounds. You don't have to worry about that at Scholler.

So yes... the generators are frustrating as hell. I'm even considering renting a pop-up camper this year so that I can a) have some isolation from the piece of crap Chinese generators and b) not have to worry so much about the inevitable major weather event that strikes Osh at least once during the week. I'm still weighing that (since a week rental on a pop-up is around $1,000 or so - plus the cost for Scholler itself).

Generally, the campers are great. I just wish people were more considerate of others. I bought a small generator this year, and am looking into ways to make it quiet (well, as quiet as one can make a generator). I only intend on running it long enough to run my sous vide and occasionally charge my phone and other rechargeable batteries (flashlights, etc). That's it. No more than 30 minutes a day, generally before dinner, when there aren't that many campers around.

Anyway... hope you do come to Scholler. My site will have a blue Ram pickup, with a windsock on a pole. If you see me, stop by for a cool adult beverage and say hi!

--Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    I'm the OP for this thread. While there are significant annoyances, there really isn't anything better than staying at Scholler. The access to the airshow grounds is unparalleled. I've considered off-airport accommodations, but there are *significant* trade-offs. Staying at Scholler allows you to drop by your site to freshen up, or grab lunch, or even better, grab a full dinner before the evening airshows without having to fight traffic on the way in. Speaking of traffic, it can be pretty bad in the morning getting onto the show grounds. You don't have to worry about that at Scholler.

So yes... the generators are frustrating as hell. I'm even considering renting a pop-up camper this year so that I can a) have some isolation from the piece of crap Chinese generators and b) not have to worry so much about the inevitable major weather event that strikes Osh at least once during the week. I'm still weighing that (since a week rental on a pop-up is around $1,000 or so - plus the cost for Scholler itself).

Generally, the campers are great. I just wish people were more considerate of others. I bought a small generator this year, and am looking into ways to make it quiet (well, as quiet as one can make a generator). I only intend on running it long enough to run my sous vide and occasionally charge my phone and other rechargeable batteries (flashlights, etc). That's it. No more than 30 minutes a day, generally before dinner, when there aren't that many campers around.

Anyway... hope you do come to Scholler. My site will have a blue Ram pickup, with a windsock on a pole. If you see me, stop by for a cool adult beverage and say hi!

--Steve
    Will do, Steve! Thanks for the info, it's very useful. I just checked out a few places near-ish to there, and some are even cheaper than Scholler(using Airbnb), but the trip to and from equates to over 300 miles more wear and tear on my trusty old Cavalier...dont think I want to do that. I'm going Scholler for sure this year, just gonna get there really early, like Tuesday or Wednesday of the week before to get a decent spot.
    Last edited by dragon2knight; 05-14-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCostello View Post
    I'm the OP for this thread. While there are significant annoyances, there really isn't anything better than staying at Scholler. The access to the airshow grounds is unparalleled.

--Steve
    I disagree with this statement. I spent ten years camping in Scholler before I moved to HBC. Camping in HBC next to your aircraft is much better than Scholler. I like the facilities better too.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    I disagree with this statement. I spent ten years camping in Scholler before I moved to HBC. Camping in HBC next to your aircraft is much better than Scholler. I like the facilities better too.
    +1
    Even the N40 is better. See you in HBC.