Thread: Sullenberger for FAA Administrator

Sullenberger for FAA Administrator

Propwash has a stoy this morning about an effort to draft Sully for FAA Administrator. I thought most of us liked and respected Sully. Whay would we wish him a sh*t sandwich job like that?

Why? Granted that he demonstrated impeccable piloting skills and cool judgement in an emergency, those skills have nothing to do with what it takes to be a good administrator.

I don't know "Sully" well, or even if he has any desire to have such a admin desk job, but he would likely have a lot of general popular support. It might have a pretty good salary and benefits. I'd bet he could do the job or learn to.

The former 2nd highest person in the FAA , and then temporary head of FAA, is an EAA member, and I think flys a small gen av plane like an Rv or something similar.

The fall of Randy Babbitt is a regret. But if he was driving on the wrong side of the road, it is fortunate that he was stopped before he hit and killed someone.

I drink very little, but if I am driving I limit it to one beer or glass of wine, with food. I prefer not to drink at all if I am driving far or in bad conditions. I sure am not going to take any chance of flying if I have been drinking more.

I have a friend, who I used to ski race with, who is now in prison for a year for DUI. He is otherwise a good guy, not violent even when drunk, but he just can't seem to stop drinking, and then he drives It is a real shame the see him as a criminal , but I know he would regret it if he had ever hit someone while drivinig drunk. Fortunatley he did not go off speeding when drunk, and we live in a small town where there really isn't any high speed freeway driving. He never even wrecked a car.
    Once years ago in college I drank too much and drove home. I knew I was impaired and so got in the right lane and drive very carefully and very slowly. I also felt so bad that I learned a lesson and did not ever get that intoxicated again. I'd rather feel good and be able to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Why? Granted that he demonstrated impeccable piloting skills and cool judgement in an emergency, those skills have nothing to do with what it takes to be a good administrator.
    mebbe, mebbe not. some outstanding aviators have the common sense to take an admin job, surround themselves with qualified, trained, experienced desk jockeys, then go flying and let them flog their mounts. every time the boss calls all p.o.'d, fire somebody. the silk-wearers quickly learn to do their jobs right so you stay out of the office.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    mebbe, mebbe not. some outstanding aviators have the common sense to take an admin job...
    Exactly... mebbe, mebbe not. Flying skills have no bearing either way; it's a completely different skill set (though the head of the FAA should, at least, be a pilot). A good pilot could be a great administrator or could be a lousy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Exactly... mebbe, mebbe not. Flying skills have no bearing either way; it's a completely different skill set (though the head of the FAA should, at least, be a pilot). A good pilot could be a great administrator or could be a lousy one.
    you think staying calm in the face of a previously unencountered event, assessing a rapidly changing situation, weighing input from expert assistants and advisers, picking the least disastrous option, executing the plan well, then displaying personal courage after the spray stops and the aircraft is sinking isn't outstanding management and administration? ok. we've entered the tweetch zone.

Sully has become the "poster boy" for aviation since the Hudson event, and like many that have gone before it's thrust upon him just like the geese that put him in the river. It's one thing to excel as a pilot and save the day in an airplane. Taking the "controls" of the FAA in Washington D.C. is quite a different skill set, there are no check-lists, POH specs., or training simulators for what is essentially a political appointment. If he gets this job I hope he preforms like "Doolittle" rather then "Lindberg", in the end I wouldn't wish this on anybody!

Joe

Joe, I guess you mean performs, not preforms. But if so, what do you mean about "like Dollittle rather than Lindberg? Both men were great pilots in the early years of aviation. Both men brought something new to flying. Everyone knows about Lindberg's first solo Atlantic flight, but not everyone knows about Doolittle's first completly blind first IFR flight.
    Both men helped our military flyers doing the war, the Doolittle raid on Tokyo was not his idea or plan, and did very little real damage, but gave us a boost in spirit. Lindberg ,originally opposed to the war, with some good reasons, served as a very valuable adviser to the military. He demonstrated to pilots in the Pacific that long range cruise could be improved dramatically by using low rpm and relatively higher boost to save fuel when enroute to an from the target. He not only toured Pacific bases and spoke to pilots, but actually flew combat missions in P-38s. I read accounts of an fellow pilot who said that when he returned from long combat missions Lindberg always had more fuel left than other pilots, so slowly they began to get the idea.
    It seems so simple now but the idea of long,slow cruise at low rpms was not the norm of American pilots then. I think Japanese pilots knew and used it.
    I think the RAF, at least once well into the war, learned how to save fuel, but it was not universal at first. I know pilot notes for Merlins give cruise settings at 1800 rpms, but even now a lot,, if not most pilots in the U S cruise at 2400 or so.
    I don't have his book in front of me, but I think Lindbergh did some advising of airlines or manufacturers after the war. And Doolittle had a long career in the military.
    Both men were great parts of aviation.
    It is incredibly sad, and no parent should ever have to lose a child as the Lindbergs did, but that kidnapping did lead to some better laws, procedures, and awareness of the dangers of people who are desperate enough to kill a child for money.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-09-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Yes Bill, both men were great pilots and I've read both biographies, just finished Doolittles' autobiography. The point I was trying to make was what they did in the world of politics, not aviation. Jimmy Doolittle was a "reserve" officer in an Army Air Corp that was run by West Pointers. He was able to overcome that handicap and takeover command of the 8th AF at a critical time, he retired from the USAF as a 3 star general in the reserves. He moved between varies Govt. agencies and private industry throughout his life before and after WWII. Lindberg was a spokeman for the "America First" movement before the war and was not welcome when the war broke out despite his technical skill. If your going to head up the FAA you better know how to handle your "image" and other politicians, who have their own agendas!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    mebbe, mebbe not. some outstanding aviators have the common sense to take an admin job, surround themselves with qualified, trained, experienced desk jockeys, then go flying and let them flog their mounts. every time the boss calls all p.o.'d, fire somebody. the silk-wearers quickly learn to do their jobs right so you stay out of the office.
    Note to self: If I ever achieve some form of office, follow this approach.