Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medical change to drivers liscense

Wink medical change to drivers liscense

How soon may we expect a change eliminating need for third class medicals??

I would expect years from now (at least one, maybe two). EAA/AOPA haven't even submitted their proposal to the FAA yet. They are planning on doing that after the first of the year. So the clock doesn't even start until then.

My advice is to plan on things staying the same as they are now for the foreseeable future.

Timeline I thought I heard in the EAA "from headquarters" presentation at Copperstate last month was more along the lines of 3-5 years, if ever. As in, they will require a lot of time to study the issue, more time to draft and work through what the rules changes will be, etc., etc., and after all that, they may decide no change at all will happen.

Though another comment I heard in that forum was that there is a mounting collection of data to show that Sport Pilots are NOT dropping out of the skies due to medical issues. So if you're operating as a SP, keep making smart decisions with respect to personal fitness to fly - it can help make the case for changes like this.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJohn View Post
    I would expect years from now (at least one, maybe two). EAA/AOPA haven't even submitted their proposal to the FAA yet. They are planning on doing that after the first of the year. So the clock doesn't even start until then.

My advice is to plan on things staying the same as they are now for the foreseeable future.
    Great. That will give me time to save up for a Varga Kachina

This issue will take time, when the idea of the Sport Pilot license first came to light a lot of pilots said it would never happen. They were wrong, but it did take longer than the promoters expected. I think this will take time, but will eventually happen. Look how long it's taking to get the "Next Gen" system funded. Canada has already implemented a new ATC system and we're still waiting for Congress to act! The big "fight" is still who pays for it, with some in congress still being lobbied for user fees.

Joe

Drivers License in lue of FAA Medical

Hello my EAA friends,
    The proposal is very interesting and needed especially based on the data that AOPA and EAA have acquired regarding medical related accidents. I'm now 73 and had no problem passing my third class medical two years ago but just got tired of the hoops needed to jump through for renewal. I just had an extensive stress test and extensive physical which I have yearly because I want to make sure I'm fit to fly. The doctors said my heart is as strong as a 25 year old and I passed the stress test with flying colors. Last year I sold our Lance and bought a PiperSport. Not because I was afraid of not passing my medical, I was just tired of the FAA bureaucracy. I'm a 5000+ hour Comm, Multi-engine, IFR pilot flying on a Drivers license medical and loving it. If they do approve the drivers license for 180 HP pilots I will probably buy an Archer for the wife and I. Until then I will just enjoy flying around the country in the PiperSport.
    Last edited by Dick Russ; 11-10-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: missed spelled word

Dick,
    I'm with you on this one! I got my license in 1993 and have been on Special Issuance since 1996. Every June I have to get the blood panel, stress test, and Dr. letter organized and then spend $ with an AME , some years it goes quickly and some years I have to wait weeks or months before I get the official "green light". This year my "authorization letter" expired so the whole package went to Okie City, my renewal finally came in late Sept! Basically, I missed the whole summer flying season! I haven't had a medical incident since 1995, and that one was very minor. I'm hoping we will get the Drivers license change soon or I will have to re-think the whole light sport thing. They are fun airplanes, but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Dick,
    They are fun airplanes, but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Joe
    Joe think of it as adding to the adventure. Meeting the challange of 'surviving' for x number of days with only the gear you can put into a small attache case - meeting all those additional new people as you have to stop more frequently for gas - seeing more scenery as you have to fly closer to the ground - spending extra days at a fuel stop as you wait for the weather to return to VFR conditions....It's all an attitude thing
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Dick,
    but I don't know if I would enjoy cross-countries in such a low capacity aircraft, not very practical.

Joe
    One Sonex owner, who's a retired 777 captain, has visited all 48 states in his Sonex, which is an 1125 lb. max. gross weight experimental that can be flown by a pilot using a drivers license medical. From his talk on his adventures while doing it, I would say that he enjoyed it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    It's all an attitude thing
    It's definitely an attitude thing. Private flying can be viewed as an recreational activity or as a means of personal transportation. The two frequently come together, but for many sport pilots, flying is an activity to be enjoyed like a round of golf or viewing a sports event. The newly proposed extension of the drivers license in lieu of a 3rd class medical will vastly expand the number of aircraft available for either activity. It can only help general aviation in my opinion and I hope the request for the exemption comes about quickly.

Don