Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Compressors

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    ...I currently have a 220V ... 5 HP motor says it pulls 13.8 amps.

I am looking at pulls between 22 - 28 amps for a 5 HP compressor..
    If those are full load amps, it is too big a difference to be based on motor efficiency. Almost looks like a three phase verses a single phase motor.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by BJC View Post
    If those are full load amps, it is too big a difference to be based on motor efficiency. Almost looks like a three phase verses a single phase motor.

BJC

The 13 amp one sounds like some of those "Magical Mystery Motors" from years ago that claimed horsepower ratings greater than known electrical norms... Like the shop vacs getting 6 hp from a 110/20 amp circuit....

Note, you can not put 15 or 20A recetpacles on this repurposed circuit unless you also drop the breaker down to 20A. Also note that if this is a garage or an accessory structure at or below grade 110 15 or 20A receaptcles require GFCI protection. If you want to use this MWBC (i.e.,shared neutral) you're going to have to be careful how you do your GFCI protection. Either use a 2 pole (with load neutral) GFCI in the panel or GFCI receptacles at each point where the neutral is still shared (you can't have one neutral connected to the protected side of multiple GFCIs.).

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    You can probably have the motor rewound for way less than the cost of a new one.
    I tried that already, the shop said it was too toasted to repair. The problem was that they could also not get me another motor like it any more, it was a 5 hp motor built on the frame for a 7.5 hp. The options were to get a 5 hp on a different frame, and change the mounts and the pulley, or get a 7.5 on the same frame. But I don't think the electric service to the property would handle the bigger motor, the whole house would dim momentarily whenever the old one kicked in. And as I recall, when Dad bought it back in the day, he had to have the service upgraded to the airport where his shop was.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CraigCantwell View Post
    The 13 amp one sounds like some of those "Magical Mystery Motors" from years ago that claimed horsepower ratings greater than known electrical norms... Like the shop vacs getting 6 hp from a 110/20 amp circuit....
    Could be. It is a GE motor & on the GE motor sticker where the HP is supposed to be listed it is blank.

I do remember however when I bought it the instructions called for a dedicated 30 amp circuit.

Mike: What's the frame number, shaft size and RPM? Changing over might not be as bad as you think.

Re-wind?

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    You can probably have the motor rewound for way less than the cost of a new one.
    Get quotes from some re-wind companies, you might get lucky. I got a re-wind quote that was higher than the cost of a new motor from Leeson. Air comressors put a heavy start-up load on motors and cheap motors may not survive that duty.

Jerry

Does anyone have any recent experience with Quincy? Specifically do they honor their warranty? I was looking at this 60 gallon compressor available at several places for $1299, specs are as good as many 80 gallon units, it is advertised as 50,000 hour pump life. I was going to pull the trigger on it then I found several very negative reviews regarding the warranty & customer service, & I discovered that to get the extended warranty you need to spend another $150 on the extended warranty kit (basically several quarts of oil & some filters).
    https://www.ruralking.com/air-compre...ir+Compressors