Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blinp ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The three new Goodyear semi-rigid airships are not really "blimps" but Goodyear will call them blimps anyway.
    See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodyear_Blimp
    I think we've covered that about six times already in the thread.

The dictionary definition of "blimp" is a small non-rigid airship.
    So a semi-rigid or rigid airship is not a blimp.

I don't see where that was explained six or even one time before my post.

I just HAD to check out this thread...….I thought someone was talking about their wife.

The Goodyear Blimp "Wingfoot 1" last came to EAA AirVenture in 2015. They park the Goodyear Blimp at Pioneer Airport during the convention.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinAdamBadger View Post
    The Goodyear Blimp "Wingfoot 1" last came to EAA AirVenture in 2015. They park the Goodyear Blimp at Pioneer Airport during the convention.
    In the past, they use a hunk of grass between the museum/pioneer and the north 40. The thing only gets moored by the nose so it has to have enough space to swing into the wind. Amusingly, one year (probably in the 90's), I overtook the thing between OSH and MKE. It took me a minute to realize what it was that I was following. It was sort of like the first time I came into Akron. It took me a while to identify the blimp hangars as what they were at a distance (though I've seen them before at Moffett Field, CA and Tillamook, OR).

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    .... the blimp hangars as what they were at a distance (though I've seen them before at Moffett Field, CA and Tillamook, OR).
    I enjoyed a visit to the Tillamook Air Musum about 15 years ago. If one is in the area, it is worth a visit just to see the former blimp hangar that houses the museum.

BJC

My Dad was a Navy blimp pilot in WWII and in the Reserves afterward. He was Stationed for awhile at Tillamook. He was stationed at all the blimp bases really, including both coasts. I believe the Lighter Than Air museum has several pictures of his as well as home movies he took.

The blimps were essentially replaced for aerial imaging on sports television by an airplane designed by an EAA member. It's first TV appearance was in 1996 filming Yeager, Rusty Wallace in a flight of 4 P-51s at EAA '96. Shot quite a bit of the airshow that year for the DVD I believe.

Three weeks after EAA it filmed an IndyCar race for it's first live TV work. The airplane went on to win the top Emmy in sports television product for "Technical Achievement". The concept of using an airplane instead of a blimp was first conceived at EAA '94. $700K was put into the development cost of the concept. (The camera on the airplane was ~$400K)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The blimps were essentially replaced for aerial imaging on sports television by an airplane designed by an EAA member. It's first TV appearance was in 1996 filming Yeager, Rusty Wallace in a flight of 4 P-51s at EAA '96. Shot quite a bit of the airshow that year for the DVD I believe.

Three weeks after EAA it filmed an IndyCar race for it's first live TV work. The airplane went on to win the top Emmy in sports television product for "Technical Achievement". The concept of using an airplane instead of a blimp was first conceived at EAA '94. $700K was put into the development cost of the concept. (The camera on the airplane was ~$400K)
    Never heard of it. Can you tell us more? What kind of airplane, designer, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

There's already a helicopter flying over most NASCAR races, don't know why they don't use that. It's used to relay the live "in car camera" shots back to the truck.