Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blinp ?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The current Goodyear fleet is "semi-rigid." Van Wagner (the operators of things like the MetLife ones) still flies non-rigid ones.
    According to what I've read the Goodyear blimps are also non-rigid airships.

A couple of years ago (when the Royals won the World Series), they parked a blimp at the downtown airport where I was based. It didn't cause a lot of air traffic congestion except during launch and recovery. I suppose you could launch the thing from Pioneer Field and keep it out of the traffic pattern. I hope they would bring it in at least a week prior to the show and stay until several days after the show. My only concern would be the disruption to air traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    According to what I've read the Goodyear blimps are also non-rigid airships.
    The three that are currently flying, are as I stated, semi-rigid. It's essentially a sled with one central backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Van Wagner (the operators of things like the MetLife ones) still flies non-rigid ones.
    MetLife dumped their blimps when they moved away from the Peanuts characters in their marketing a couple years. Van Wagner then got rid of their blimp operation. Except for an occasional short-term sponsorship blimp as part of a promotion, Goodyear the only lighter than air left flying nationally.