Thread: Is Fun N Sun Worth Going To?

Is Fun N Sun Worth Going To?

Been too Airventure 5 times now and I never see myself not going. The last 2 years I've volunteered as a Warbirds security member and I love every minute of it. The people, the tent camping, walking around the field and getting close to hundreds of Warbirds, man its probably my favorite week of the year!! Are you able to get this same type of experience at Fun N Sun? I'm not a pilot. Just someone who appreciates aircraft (especially military) and taking pictures/video.
    EAA Warbirds Volunteer

Sun N Fun is a lot like Oshkosh only smaller. I've been to Oshkosh once. I flew a Beaver from Alaska to the show, worked the display for the week, then flew the Beaver back to Alaska. I had a great time but would not do it again simply because I don't normally leave Alaska during the summer. That was a three week trip and summers are way too short to be gone for even one week. I've been to Sun N Fun twice and will go back again this year. It's a fun fly in and the best part is it happens in April when there is still snow on the ground and the ice on the lakes at home. I'll spend one or maybe two days at the show. It's hard for anyone to know if it's worth it for you to go. If you anticipate being disappointed then you probably will be.

Pretty much agree with Tralika. I go to Oshkosh every year, volunteer every year, and spend the full week. Still don't see everything I intend to see each year. Have been to SnF in 2012 & 2013. I got there when it opened, and was usually done by 2 pm. Same stuff, just less of, or smaller overall. Not knocking it. Really gets the juices flowing with the spring thaw (even though I'm in DFW, it's still fun to be around like-minded folks!). I just don't see a *need* to go, but I do *enjoy* going. Oshkosh, though....ya just gotta.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

A lot easier to stay in a hotel there. You can easily find rooms within a half an hour and drive in. Easy peasy. I was going for the first day every year (and the year they had the Blue Angels we did the entire week).

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryAttractions View Post
    Is Fun N Sun Worth Going To?
    I'm not a pilot. Just someone who appreciates aircraft (especially military) and taking pictures/video.
    If you have never been to Fun N Sun, I suggest you try it. As noted, it is a smaller venue than Airventure - a lot less of everything - both the good and the bad.

My perspective is from a pilot point of view - more specifically a piston driver. I would rather watch a C152 fly by than any kerosene burner. Of course that's not draws the majority to either show. I have camped at Airventure, but never at Fun N Sun. I don't know how people put up with the FL lovebugs. I have flown into both - Fun N Sun is somewhat easier. I found the access to aircraft/parts vendors was much easier at Fun N Sun. The pilot forums were much better at Airventure.

So I'd say the value is dependent on what you are looking for and enjoy.