Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth protection policy question

Youth protection policy question

As it is time for us to renew our youth protection background checks, this question came up at our board meeting. At a recent YE rally, a parent asked if it was safe for her child to be with a pilot alone. Of course she was told about the protection policy. So we were wondering, should we have a sign made up that states something to the effect, "Your child is safe to be with our pilots. All pilots have had a thorough background check. " ? Do any of you have something like this ? Have any of you been asked this by a parent ? Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

We just tell the parents in our group of kids we work with, we don't think a sign is needed.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_T View Post
    So we were wondering, should we have a sign made up that states something to the effect, "Your child is safe to be with our pilots. All pilots have had a thorough background check. "
    Don't do this. You will place yourself in great legal peril and jeopardy if something happens. Ask EAA for guidance with respect to assuring parents that children are safe and protected.

If I was heading the event, I would make sure that I knew the pilot, maybe he is someone local or someone who had flown your event before. I would most want to know how safe a pilot he is, but the other could be considered also. And the flight, if there are 3 seats might allow the Mom to fly with them. I would let her meet the pilot and see if she and the kid feel good and want to go, if not skip it, they are not worth the potential trouble. . I would not make her any guarantee, you never know, all you can do it your best. Some parents forget that they are getting something special for free, and if they don't value that, don't go.

A few parents are just impossible: our school has an outdoor ed program where the class camps somewhere fun for the week, very popular. I was a math tutor for a 12 yr old boy from a difficult home situation,. His Mom was afraid of the water, she could not swim, I even offered to go with the kid, and I offered to pay for swim lessons, but she would not hear of it, and the child was in tears while every other kid in the class had a great trip. 20 years ago and still makes me sick, but cultural ignorance is a hard nut to crack.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_T View Post
    At a recent YE rally, a parent asked if it was safe for her child to be with a pilot alone.
    "Why, does your kid have rabies or something?"
    Last edited by dougbush; 03-09-2019 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    "Why, does your kid have rabies or something?"
    Pure gold.

No, don't talk like that to kids or parents. Doug, the purpose of Y E flights is to expose kids to gen aviation, and also make possibly future pilots of them or at least friends for gen av of the kids and their parents. A smart ass remark insulting the parent is way off base.

Oh come on, Bill, I thought of a similar snappy retort when I read the question. I seriously don't believe that anyone would ever actually say that to a parent. I think we know that the parent is concerned enough just about letting their kid fly, much less with someone they don't know. If they really thought about many of the planes being "experimental" then they would probably turn around with child in tow.

We know all of that, but if we can't laugh among ourselves, then things have gone much further wrong than I imagined.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Agreed, Mr Mayer.

Chris, I love humor and love to laugh, but I dont find making fun of a Mother and her child to be funny or in good taste. In a sea of grey haired old white men there are probably some soft spots if kids wanted to go after them. I could have Katy ask how you did in the Airventure 5K? What, you don't have a time for that, maybe too old and fat? Or did "rabies or something" prevent you from taking part? Or why does your plane need an engine on both ends just to get off the ground?

I know that there are people in EAA or at Airventure who don't like kids and who won't help with Young Eagles. I don't think much of them or their humor. And I have found that often those who like to laugh at others don't have much laughter when they are the butt of jokes.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-14-2019 at 03:34 PM.