Thread: Manufacture date

Manufacture date

Maybe a simple question to answer. I am nearly completed with a homebuilt that has changed hands a couple of times. The 'kit' was originaly sold by the Kit manufacturer in 1993. When I get the registration and A/W certificate paperwork done, hopefully in a few months (LOL), do I list it as a 2019 or as a 1993 date of manufacture?

I'd list 2019. 1993 is just when a bunch of parts were created.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks Ron! That was exactly my thinking. Heck, the speed at which I get things done, it'll probably be 2020!!

The date of manufacture is the year when the airworthiness certificate is applied for (and usually issued). It doesn't matter when the project was started.
    Cheers!

Joe

About 93% of the homebuilt aircraft listings in the FAA database include a "Model Year." As Joe said, this should be related to when the Airworthiness Certificate was applied for.

Here's a histogram showing the Model Year for the homebuilt aircraft registered as of the first of January this year. Note that this show the aircraft *currently* in the registry, not the total added in that year.

Ron Wanttaja