Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EASA Basic IFR

The challenge with flying into the clouds is currency. Getting some instruction will take the mystery out of flying through the clouds, but to have a skill that will save you when you misjudge the weather you have to practice. As with many activities, competency requires practice. The hood time you logged 20 years ago doesn't count or help enough.

And there is another perspective. Anyone chugging along on a real IFR clearance, and none of the guys on the ATC scopes, wants to share their cloud with someone who does not have sharp enough skills fly with enough precision that they are not a hazard to the other ships that they are sharing the cloud with.

If you haven't learned all of the skills, and have not recently practiced them, and you are concerned about flying into a cloud due to misjudging the weather, a better investment of your time and energy is learning to make better weather decisions. The FAA seems to have discovered the world of webinars and every other one offered seems to be about weather briefing and weather decision making. Free training! What's not to like for the less experienced aviator on a budget?

Best of luck,

Wes

Max, yes the one situation you see that might be useful and still safe enogh if you are ifr capable, but stiil not reall ifr expert, is to descend through a cloud layer to good vmc below it. The catch is you need to be sure that the vmc is there and flyable, something like 3500 and 5 miles and damn sure not 1000 and 1/2 mile. And also possible is to climb throgh an overcast layer of a few thousand feet to get to good vmc above and be able to go somewhere. Again, you have to be sure of the weather, not just take a 172 up into clouds which go above 15,000 ft and may have icing and in fact cover hundreds of miles. Also you might fly a plane that is not really that good at ifr approaches, but can fly in more basic imc. I flew a vintage one like that for 20 years and included a some marginal vmc and a small amount of imc but no low approaches. In a tight spot I could have flown a basic vor approach. but I never let us get into that tight spot, and one reason is I had limited fuel endurance, about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralika View Post
    I'm a CFII so maybe I'm not the most objective guy on this thread. That said, I have a question for the proponents of Basic IFR/IFR Lite idea. What instrument skills, knowledge and proficiency currently required would you like not to have when your flying in IMC? At the risk of sounding like even more of a jerk, if your not instrument rated and have at least some actual IMC experience, you really shouldn't try to answer that question because you just don't have the frame of reference to know what is needed.
    Max gave his perspective from a VFR pilot's perspective. I will give mine from an IFR pilot's perspective. I have flown 1000's of hours in IMC and in airplanes with steam gauges (mostly full panel - some partial panel) - no gps or autopilot. In those airplanes, the FAA minimums for currency are not enough to stay alive. However, as Max outlined, today's technically advanced aircraft provide a whole new level of capability. I can foresee a day in which in which certification standards will need to (or should) change for both the aircraft and the pilot.