Thread: How long to solo for students

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How long to solo for students

A milestone for a student pilot is the day you solo. Why is that important, even if it is only a step along the path to being a private pilot, or sport pilot? Because it is concrete proof that you really can do this thing, its not a matter of anyone telling you that some day you'll be able to do it. If the plane takes off and flies around the pattern for 3 successful landing, and there's only one person in that plane, then they must be the pilot. Not a fully educated pilot or certified private pilot, but a person who actually flew the plane that day, and in normal situations is now going to be cleared to go on there own to practice again and maybe as nearby airports also. Things like cross country, imc, instrument navigation, night flying, congested class B airspace are then introduced as dual with the CFI, but the basic flying the airplane is learned. A lot of student pilots drop out of training, either lack of money or lack of confidence, etc,. a good solo helps reinforce the student.
    By the way Geoffrey Wellum, famous WWII ace writes of his first fighter solo when he was 18 years old and soon to go into combat, " A Spitfire has landed at Duxford with me inside of it, don't know much about that one."
    So how long to solo? I found an old issue of AOPA 2005, and it was 23% in 10 hours, 29% in by 15 hours and 21% in 20 and 25% over 20 hours.
    For me it was 12 hours to solo and 43 till the private check ride. I had enough time and money on my side, and was probably a B+ student for that point, made 98 on the written, had done spins, night flying,etc, but there was a lot I didn't know.
    Some CFIs try to wring ever last $ out of a student before solo, as if they had to be Bob Hoover to take a 172 around the pattern. They point out all the complicated airspace these days, Class B or TFRs ,etc. and GPS, etc, but it is a hollow claim for the most part, not much validity. A student pilot on their first solo is simply going to fly a few landings in a basic trainer like a 172 same as when I learned in the 70s, They are not going to land at LAX in fact its illegal for student to solo in Class B. The plane might be a little more complex these days, like a Diamondstar , but mostly not. They aren't soloing a T6.
    By the way AOPA, 20 years ago used to have real Pinch Hitter course, with real flying not just lectures and the students landed the planes on the 3nd day, not solo but only them on the controls. One lady even landed their Lear jet. You can imagine what that does for someones confidence and about 30% of students went on the be private pilots. Sadly some buereacreats stopped this feature of the program.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-18-2019 at 09:40 AM.