Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another AF newbie question

Wink Another AF newbie question

Now as some of you know I am 14 and working on my Gliders Liscence, and soon to go up to a private pilots liscence. Now my question is; I have glasses and I want to fly for the AF, how much will this affect me? I dont really care if I cant fly a fighter jet, Id actually much rather fly the big jumbo jets/cargo jets. Will there still be options for me if i have glasses? Or would I need to get Laser Eye Surgery to help me get in

Thanks for the help!
    Olan Rom: 14 & Aspiring Pilot

Another thing; Id actually love to fly bigger jets, like the B52, C5, or C130 + anything else I can get to. But my absolute favorite thign to do would be a test pilot?

Thanks for the info!
    Olan Rom: 14 & Aspiring Pilot

Ask your local recruiter about the requirements, and remember if you want a commission in the military, it requires a 4 year degree.

Just remember there are easier ways to get to be a pilot of the categories of aircraft (except bombers) that you mentioned. Also there are a few civilian test pilot programs out there. You don't have to sign your life away for a few years just to get to do this sort of thing. Not that I discourage anyone who is truly interested in the military and all that it entails but just that I don't think one should pursue that career path without making sure it is the best option for them.

I'm pretty sure you will need an Aerospace Engineering degree to become a test pilot, as well.

Check out the other Fighter Pilot Thread, there are some links to Medical requirements posted there. Back in the 60's you had to have 20/20 eyesight to qualify for flight training in the AF and the Navy, but I crewed with a lot of pilots who wore glasses. These were mostly field grade officers in their 40's and up who trained during WWII and Korea. Once they have invested a lot of training in someone they try to keep them around so if your eyesight starts to dim a bit they won't throw you out over glasses. Today with a smaller military there is a lot of competition for pilot training and they have raised the bar.

Joe

I believe you still need perfect vision to start military flight training. Once in, it only needs to be correctable, I don't know the exact specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    You don't have to sign your life away for a few years just to get to do this sort of thing.
    Sheeze....I can remember when that was known as volunteering to serve your country.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

My nephew joined the marines and had thick glasses before. They gave Him lazor corrective surgury. I don't think it's a problem

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Sheeze....I can remember when that was known as volunteering to serve your country.....
    As someone who served in the military, I just honestly believe that it's not a matter of being selfless or anything like that. It's a job: nothing more, nothing less. Most of the work done has very little different from working anywhere else except for the issue of deployment. There are plenty of jobs I have held (volunteer firefighter is what immediately jumps to mind) that have been far riskier than anything I did in the military and would be a much better description for "serving my country" than the years I spent serving at a backwater hospital.

Also, I don't believe everyone should be in the military. Doing it to further one's career beyond the military or out of desperation at not being able to find a job elsewhere are pretty poor reasons. Likewise, I question the motives and potentially the sanity of someone who claims to be doing it for entirely altruistic motives (love of country, etc). No, you're doing it because you like the way it makes you feel and the way people treat you because of what your job is. Nothing wrong with that but let's not blow smoke up anyone's butt over it. People need to stop and think whether they really want to be military instead of trying to find a job in the military that suits them. Just because the military has a job you might like to do, does not mean you would like doing that job in the military. That was my point and I hope this clarifies it a bit.