Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooo... Who shortened 18/36...

Sooo... Who shortened 18/36...

And didn't tell anybody? You'd think they would've put that in the NOTAM or something!

I joke because no one was seriously injured, but I watched 4 aircraft overrun the runway this week! Anyone know why pilots were smoking in way too fast this week?

The runway still works the same whether its AirVenture or not. The added procedures and aerial ballet that is the traffic pattern during AirVenture can sometimes alter a normal operation like Landing, into a bit of a challenge. I will not speculate or have any info on causes of the overruns...I will say that percentage-wise with so many aircraft here at once...all the mishaps are compounded even though that same number of mishaps is spread throughout the country over an entire year...So...its still very safe to fly to AirVenture.

I was joking. I can tell you that the first two, the first pair of Bonanzas in the first mass arrival ran off because they were landing with a decent tail wind (the Pinkies changed the runway direction shortly thereafter) and came in too hot. I think the lead came in too fast and the second was dutifully following his lead and didn't see how close they were to the end.

I can't really speculate on what happened with the two jets as I was looking the other way when they both had their incidents.

I got the humor...as a CFI...I implore everyone to get training and be current before coming to AV.

It's a common joke/gripe that too many pilots who fly into AV don't fly during any other time of year. They hangar their plane from August to July, get a few hours in around their home airport, then fly cross-country to the busiest airport in the world!

When landing on 36R on Thursday the controller instructed me to land long and roll off the end...intentionally.

Ohhhh, so the Viper driver was just following orders a bit too well! hahaha

Jason
    it was two mooneys--not bonanzas
    see post from one of the guys in the tower

"We worked a 1230 – 2030 shift on both North Local and South Local. If you are listening to LiveATC.net the North Local is on 118.5 and the South Local is on 126.6. There was a flight of 135 Bonanza’s that came in early yesterday afternoon, and a flight of Mooney’s that came in around 3ish. I don’t remember how many Mooney’s there were, but they showed up JUST as the wind was shifting which gave them a pretty stiff tailwind for the mass landing on runways 36L and R. These flights set up their arrivals way ahead of time, and they do a final coordination check with the tower before they fly the final leg up to Oshkosh. By the time they got on tower frequency and within 20-30 miles of the airport, there was simply no way to change their runway to be more aligned with the wind. They just had to land with a tailwind. No two ways about it."

My mistake! If I remember correctly, there wasn't much wind before it really kicked up from the south. The same wind we were all thanking God for on the ground, controllers and Mooney pilots were cursing! lol

If you think the Mooney pilots were unhappy landing downwind on 36, you should have heard the voices in my head while landing my RV8 on Rwy 9 about the same time.
    Dan Horton
    RV-8 Fastback
    Barrett IO-390
    Alabama