Thread: Am i just too old?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am i just too old?

oK, I know I am a little old fashioned, I still use actual real charts, those printed on paper, to fly to Oskosh every year, just like I did the first time 38 years ago, and believe it or not, they havent moved Oshkosh or even Iowa or Wisconsin in all those decades, either I am very lucky or it is in the same place as it was in 1980. And if it was cheaper, Id probably have a gps with moving map in my Bonanza. I even own and use a cell phone, on which my friends who only own cell phones call me and we can sort of hear each other some of the time, until I get them to call back on my real phone.
    Im having a hard time finding new skis to buy, all the young people tell me how fine their short, fat, rocker tip with stiff tails are. but I demoed two and even fell once, first time in years. My conventional red Atomic 220 downhill skis, that I won two races on ,are still in the closet. Sometimes I'm on them again, 70 mph at the bottom of a race course, until morning wakes me up. Ans my knee never hurts in a dream. I just had an IPC with a nice young CFI who talked about how special it is to fly his Dad's "Mustang" but what he means is a Cessna, and what I mean when I say Mustang is a big Packard Merlin engine and a 4 bladed prop controlled by the pilot with a stick, not a computer, and when you land the linemen want a photo not just to "drain the lav." And the A F Academy invites Merlins to do a fly over at the Notre Dame game, never heard of that with a Cessna.
    So maybe I am mostly of another age, hey sailing ships were great for a long time before steam took over.
    But yesterday I see a short piece on the internet about how there are going to be male danceleaders performing at the Super Bowl, and the young men look very proud of themselves in the clip. Somehow I just couldn't feel the thrill, not that they don't have the right to. I'm all for cheerleaders, two of my favorites in high school were Jan and Donna, and Ginger in college, but like the word "Mustang" I have a traditional image of them.
    Am I just too old? Or do I need an exorcism to come up to date? I do see the Dr .Pepper commercials with football games and they taste as good as when I was growing up.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-31-2019 at 10:17 AM.