Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am i just too old?

I have always tried to be a good and mostly SAFE pilot and I think largely I've done that, I think Ive certainly been better than average, there are a lot of days when I'd grade myself at least a solid B+ , maybe even A-. And there was a time when I was a pretty good skier, at least for a Texan. Have you ever seen a Texan try to ski? It's a lot like a politician trying to tell the truth, it is possible in theory, but not often easily or readily done. My sons are of course excellent skiers., the older one was a fine racer, his school won the state championship when he was a junior. He says, without joking, "Dad you are the best skier I know from Texas." Anyway, our snow this year if beyond good, and I went skiing. With my sore knee and sometimes sore back and just not being anywhere near race shape, I am now for sure a lot better pilot than a skier. I think that is a sure sign of being old, but maybe from a safety standpoint not such a bad thing. Flying is much about judgment and the brain doesn't age like the body does. Good eyesight helps a plot , but fast reflexes and good balance on your feet are not needed by a pilot so much as a ski racer.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-14-2019 at 10:15 AM.

I've been both a pilot and skier. The advantage of flying over skiing is that it's a lot easier to service or replace a weak landing gear on an airplane.

So just for chuckles, what do you consider old and what metric are you using? Some folks are old at 40 and others seem exuberant all the way to when they slide in sideways and proclaim, "Man what a ride"!