Thread: STC'd experimental avionics - Continued Work?

STC'd experimental avionics - Continued Work?

With the STCs for Dynon EFIS and Truetrak AP, there was a lot of talk about this opening the door to other experimental avionics in certificated aircraft.

Have any other experimental avionics companies announced STC intentions?

As I look at older certificated LSA qualifying aircraft where every pound of useable load matters, I cannot help but notice the lighter weight (and lower cost) of solid state electronic instruments. For example, I would love to see MGL get an STC for its V16 radios and Vega heads because 2 V16 radios and Vega heads weigh 5 lbs less than a narco nav/com (without CDI).

There is an STC for the Trio Avionics ProPilot autopilot in several certificated aircraft:

https://www.trioavionics.com/Certified%20Autopilot.htm
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Maybe the alphabet orgs should consider getting the FAA to view non STC’ed avionics installed in type certified aircraft as safety enhancements but not for use for IFR flight.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

The process to have an STC approved by the FAA has gotten prohibitively expensive and the potential market just isn't there. I think organizations like AOPA, EAA etc have to pick their battles with the FAA and this ain't one of them.