Thread: 3 hook rivets for fiberglass in magazine?

3 hook rivets for fiberglass in magazine?

About 9 months ago I remember seeing some rivets for use in fiberglass, kinda looked like mini grappling hooks. Trying to find them if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Noob builder View Post
    About 9 months ago I remember seeing some rivets for use in fiberglass, kinda looked like mini grappling hooks. Trying to find them if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

TIA
    Pop rivets?

look up , Load Spreading star Rivets ... or tri fold.......good luck / good day /rick

If it's pop rivets, I bought some last summer cause they are widely used on my camper.

In composite materials, including fiberglass, you prefer not to have radially expanding fasteners because they will break fibers at hole periphery and reduce bearing strength. If the application is for secondary structure like fairings, where loads are low, you might use pull rivets. If composite material is carbon, you want non-expanding fasteners in clearance holes and you don't want aluminum fasters because of galvanic reaction with moisture that will eventually corrode the fastener. Carbon fasteners are stainless or titanium for long life.

What you are looking for is called a wide grip blind rivet for soft material. My Jabiru J230 composite airplane kit uses them. HomeBuiltHelp recently produced a video (tip 115) on the rivet usage and where to get them.

http://homebuilthelp.com/Tip_of_Week/Tip_115.html

In the video he shows an example part number of 97545A010 that can be purchased from mcmaster.com. I have not used these rivets so I cant say if they are of aviation quality.

Name:  IMG_0155.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  19.7 KB

Wayne

Looks like others here have pointed to what you asked about. If unsuccessful, and you can get your hand to the back side of the work, there are washers specifically made as backing plates to spread the load on soft material. And you want to be using rivets with a larger flange than standard. Obviously a longer grip length is called for. And I'm only speaking of pop rivets.

here is a one page write up, about "bulb style rivets" in the August 2018 issue of " kitplanes" , it looks like it was written, by Jon Croke of HomebuiltHELP.com, ... .. . good day