Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75% Complete Kit Question

75% Complete Kit Question

General Question about buying a 75% completed metal airplane project. The builder has completed one all metal project and selling his current 2nd project he purchased from the kit manufacturer.

He is the original builder with all receipts. His build log is mostly photographs, not documented hours.

Is the photo log adequate to satisfy FAA requirements for an experimental project?

Thanks,
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vagabond

Heck yeah! I'd go for it!! Not aware of any minimum number of hrs that has to be documented.

Quote Originally Posted by rideandfly View Post
    ...Is the photo log adequate to satisfy FAA requirements for an experimental project?...
    It's not necessarily a slam-dunk, but it's very very likely. The probability is even higher if the kit is on the NKET approved list. But even if if it's not on the list, when you fill out the checklist of tasks completed by amateurs versus professionals (usually the kit manufacturer), you can use the photos as evidence to support your accounting of the tasks.

A couple of observations on this topic:

* The feeling I get is that the FAA has dialed back their "major portion" enforcement since the hired-gun tsunami of the 1990s, when newly-minted millionaires were chasing Lancair IV-Ps with dot-com bubble bucks, and too often making headlines when things went awry.

* These days FAA scrutiny seems to scale with dollar values--For some million-dollar turbine-powered monster, they probably assume you didn't build it yourself (and let's face it, they're probably right), so you have to cross every T and dot every I. But for a Minimax built out of wood you got at Lowes they'll basically just look at your calluses and coffee stained plans sheets and wave you on--assuming that the paperwork is all in order.

--Bob K.
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 kit sailplane project

HP-24 Project Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor

Marty and Bob,

Appreciate your replies. Will check to see if it's on the NKET list.

Thanks,
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vagabond

I suggest you talk to your local DAR and make sure you will have a build log that will meet his/her requirements during the final inspection. When I had my plane inspected the DAR did not study the build log closely but looked through it for several minutes and took photos of a half dozen or so pages. He uses the photos to document the existence of a build log with his paperwork. There are lots of opinions here on the internet (mine included) but the only opinion that will get your Airworthiness Certificate issued is the DAR's. The DAR will want you to be successful and let you know how to work through the build log issue. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralika View Post
    I suggest you talk to your local DAR and make sure you will have a build log that will meet his/her requirements during the final inspection. When I had my plane inspected the DAR did not study the build log closely but looked through it for several minutes and took photos of a half dozen or so pages. He uses the photos to document the existence of a build log with his paperwork. There are lots of opinions here on the internet (mine included) but the only opinion that will get your Airworthiness Certificate issued is the DAR's. The DAR will want you to be successful and let you know how to work through the build log issue. Good luck.
    Tralika,

Wise advice.

Thanks,
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vagabond

It is best to get Tech Counselor visits in the build log. Especially before parts are closed.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 01-25-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    It is best to get Tech Counselor visits in the build log. Espessially before parts are closed.
    Bill,

Appreciate your advice.

Everyone here has great insight that helps me ask the right questions and obtain correct information before the purchase. I did not want to buy an unfinished kit for $15,000 to $20,000 only to learn about initial pre-purchase information that should have been gathered before the purchase..

Thanks!
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vagabond

Please let us know how it works out. We're pulling for you.

As long as the first builder was doing it for recreation or education (rather than being the aforementioned hired gun or the like), his work counts as qualifying for the certificate the same as the guy who takes it through certification.