Thread: Vintage VW conversion plans?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Vintage VW conversion plans?

Hello to all! Newbie homebuilder from Finland calling for help.

I have recently purchased a 40-year old Taylor Monoplane J.T.1, which I am slowly restoring to a flyable aeroplane. The engine is a typical VW conversion, 45 hp or so, 1500 cc displacement. The original build documents, which came with the aeroplane, state that the engine conversion has been done according to the instructions and plans from "Ted Barker" and "BAC". I searched for those two for a while from internet, and came in the conclusion that Ted Barker plans refers to "Volkswagen Conversion Manual" or "VW Conversion Plans" written by Ted Barker and sold by the Ted Barker Experimental Engines, California, and the "BAC" refers to Broadley Aero Concepts (http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/HOAE/VW.html), which has sold their version of the VW conversion plans also. Both have published classified ads in magazines as Sport Aviation, Popular Mechanics and so on in 1960's and 1970's.

My question is: does anybody out there happen to have one or both of these conversion plans available? It would be nice to know how my engine has been originally converted from a factory-new industrial engine to a reliable aircraft powerplant. What modifications has been made, what parts has been used, and so on.

All information is useful. Thank you!

Best regards,
    Markus
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by markus; 01-22-2019 at 07:25 AM.
    --
    EAA member #1301674