Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New ideas for Chapter meetings?

Dave, It sound like you are on a roll! Keep up the good work.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I was wondering if any chapter has used something like Skype for the meeting? There are quite a few people with great topics registered with the Speakers Bureau, but of course almost all are in the GU category (Geographically unable.)
    Perhaps the presenter could send presentation material in advance, and the meeting could have 2 screens with the person, and visual aids shown.

Or am I thinking a bit too "corporate" for an EAA chapter meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I was wondering if any chapter has used something like Skype for the meeting? There are quite a few people with great topics registered with the Speakers Bureau, but of course almost all are in the GU category (Geographically unable.)
    Perhaps the presenter could send presentation material in advance, and the meeting could have 2 screens with the person, and visual aids shown.

Or am I thinking a bit too "corporate" for an EAA chapter meeting?

I'm with ya Paul. I would like to see a little more technology involved in in the chapter meetings and events. There are a ton of things to share on the web, but without the tools to present or display these things, well, it's just not the same. Our chapter does have a projector and a PA, so at least we can share a pre-prepared presentation, sometimes... but with most people being use to web gadgets, Ipads, smart phones and the like, it would be neat to provide some of that technology and connectivity at our clubhouse in order to better share ideas. After all, that is the purpose of these meetings, right? It's kind of a bummer to the younger crowd when they show up and find out that the most technological advanced piece of equipment we have is a coffee pot. I think we've gained (and lost) several prospective members over the past couple of years because our method is somewhat outdated. One could also argue that it's about the camaraderie, which for many is certainly true, but for people looking for or wanting to share ideas, we are lacking a bit.

As for acquiring these new pieces of equipment necessary to bring us into the 21st century, well, that's where there is a rub. As it stands, our chapter has some working capital, but the older crowd has worked hard for those funds and probably wouldn't appreciate seeing a bunch of young whipper snappers squandering their efforts on WiFi or satellite subscriptions. While some things that have been discussed are a one time deal (plasma screen, PC or peripheral devices), others require maintenance, such as an Internet or satellite package, and many frown at the thought.

I've tried to bring the subject up a time or two, but I get an uncomfortable feeling when it seems that I am the only one trying to make the case. Kind of like it might all fall on me if a decision is made to execute on some purchases, as in to say, "ok Mark, there are the toys, now what?" I'm not sure I willing to take that leap alone and have everyone mad at me if the stuff doesn't get used as much as we might like.

I mention these thoughts in order to get others to help us think through our situation. I'm sure that it's similar to what others are facing or considering. What are other chapters doing in this department? Again, I hate to upset our group by pressing an issue unnecessarily, especially if the thoughts aren't mutual, but I'd like to find a way to improve on our appearance and ability in order to capture the interest of the younger (and not so younger) crowd.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    I agree...keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie

Quote Originally Posted by adiposestem View Post
    I agree...keep up the good work!
    Had to go back and read that, but yeah... good work indeed, Dave!

I have a couple of things.

1. We had someone who flew choppers in Vietnam give a presentation about his adventures and close calls when flying troups in and out of the warzones. It attracted a lot ex-military people to our meeting. We asked that anyone who had served in the military to stand. Over half of the entire group stoud up. We then gave them a round of applause. As a result, several of these people joined our chapter. It also gave these guys a chance to talk about their personal experiences with one another during the break and after the meeting. We had 47 people at the meeting.

2. We have been experimenting with "First Saturday Coffee and Donuts" for over a year now and it keeps getting bigger and bigger crowds. It's held at a members hangar the first saturday of every month from 9 am until noon. Very simple to do and hardly any setup. Just get a couple of monster coffee makers and have someone go get donuts. We usually go through around 7 dozen donuts at each affair. If we have any donuts left, we take them over to the FBO for the tower and line guys, which makes for great PR. Since this event is on a saturday, members usually bring their wives, husbands and their kids. The kids just love running around looking at the airplanes.
    http://www.eaa1246.org/coffeeanddonuts.asp

We have turned a couple "hangar stories" into presentations.

One of our members was talking about the hazards of uncontrolled airfields he encountered and a few meetings later went over operations within them. Since most of us work out of them, one might think it was singing to the choir - but it wasn't, as it was a good refresher all the way around and more than one eyebrow raised.

I'm waiting to get tapped for a presenation on tube and gusset construction, as it's just a matter of time.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

If anyone is interested, I'm willing to do presentations on crash survivability (ways to make aircraft, maintenance issues that affect safety in the event of a crash, etc) or put something together for a newsletter.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

One of our members is a balloon enthusiast that volunteered to do a presentation. We offered a local balloon pilot/owner some money for fuel and started our meeting with teathered balloon rides for members, friends and family. It was well received and brought quite a bit of attention to the chapter when the motorist saw the balloon going up and down on the ramp.
    Last edited by Gary Brossett; 01-22-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Gary Brossett, EAA Lifetime #375866, VAA 17373
    President, Chattahoochee Valley EAA Chapter 677
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

eaachapter677@gmail.com

Our Chapter (407) includes several CFIs as well as several instructors from an Aviation Maintenance associates degree program. The CFIs do regular workshops (cross-country planning, Class B operations,...) while the A&Ps do hands-on skills building (wiring, rivetting, ...) This gives us at least two lively informative meetings each year.