Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can This Be True?

Dale, if you read the title of my posts, it is "Can this be true?" Not that it is fact or not. I saw that post by another pilot and it seemed possible but almost too good to be true. Sadly I guess it is, but I don't see any reason the Mayor and city govt could not open Meigs with Daley now out of the way. I think there is likely demand for another close in airport in a city that size and there are plenty of parks. I don't know if the mayor and Obama have any love for gen aviation but I do know the Tuskegee Airmen did events with kids there and worked to prevent the closing.
    Did you hear anything about the rumors of bankruptcy for that site due to problems over taxes?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-15-2019 at 06:38 AM.

If you want my personal opinion...

Meigs is gone.

The chances of Meigs re-opening are as close to zero as you're ever going to get.

I'd bet that historically the number of airports in or near cities that have been closed and then later opened up again is close to zero.

Essentially NO ONE in urban areas cares the slightest little bit about GA airports, unless they want them gone. That is excluding pilots, of course, whose numbers as a percentage of the population is (you probably guessed by now) close to zero.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    If you want my personal opinion...

Meigs is gone.

The chances of Meigs re-opening are as close to zero as you're ever going to get.

I'd bet that historically the number of airports in or near cities that have been closed and then later opened up again is close to zero.

Essentially NO ONE in urban areas cares the slightest little bit about GA airports, unless they want them gone. That is excluding pilots, of course, whose numbers as a percentage of the population is (you probably guessed by now) close to zero.
    x2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Heh, heh...that's pretty good.

http://aviationdaily.news/2019/01/13...border-crisis/

I see they blame it on Floats and his ilk.

Ron Wanttaja
    Funny. BTW, while you've all been focused on your southern border, we've been quietly completing the northern border 4 metre wall(that's 12 feet American) from coast to coast mainly to keep out orange haired imbeciles with limited vocabularies. It was very challenging building it through the Great Lakes but Canadian engineering ingenuity and intellect won the day. The build is currently on the New Brunswick/Maine border. Should all be done by end of March.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Funny. BTW, while you've all been focused on your southern border, we've been quietly completing the northern border 4 metre wall(that's 12 feet American) from coast to coast....
    Hmmmm. Isn't the Canadian Northern Border somewhere about Ellesmere Island? :-)

Ron "To find the hand of Franklin, reaching for the Beaufort Sea" Wanttaja

Actually there is a Chicago mayoral candidate by the name of Willie Wilson who has stated that if elected he would reopen Meigs.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Hmmmm. Isn't the Canadian Northern Border somewhere about Ellesmere Island? :-)

Ron "To find the hand of Franklin, reaching for the Beaufort Sea" Wanttaja
    Wow! A Stan Rogers fan! How cool is that ....

Mark
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)