Thread: Difference between a CCP-42 and CCP-42J?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Difference between a CCP-42 and CCP-42J?

Hi All,
    I can't seem to find specs for CCP-42J rivets anywhere. I see that they appear shorter than standard CCP-42, so I assume their grip length is going to be less.

When I bought a used kit, it came with a bunch of hardware. I have two bags of rivets that were labeled as CCP-42, but with one that had CCP-42J as being its actual type. Trying to make sure I use the right rivets in the correct place.

I checked the Cherry data sheet for the CCP-42 pull rivets and did not find any letter designation for a 42J.
    The CCP-42 was a SS rivet body, a SS mandrel, a protruding head, a 4/32" dia and a 2/16" grip.
    No letter J.

These are non-structural Cherry N rivets. Is there a difference in appearance between the two groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    I checked the Cherry data sheet for the CCP-42 pull rivets and did not find any letter designation for a 42J.
    The CCP-42 was a SS rivet body, a SS mandrel, a protruding head, a 4/32" dia and a 2/16" grip.
    No letter J.

These are non-structural Cherry N rivets. Is there a difference in appearance between the two groups?
    Thanks Bob for taking a look. I am attaching a picture of the rivets ( the j is on the left. It's a little shorter than the standard CCP-42 rivet (0.241" vs 0.265). I also included the label.
    Thanks for any insight. The label says they are equivalent, but there is a slight difference in length as well as the head, which looks tapered away from the surface as opposed to towards.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Those aren't Cherry Rivets... they're "Cherry Equivalent" rivets which are sold by Jet Fitting. They're of dubious origin.

The "equivalent" term in the label makes all the difference. The 42J are not Cherry products.
    What is your end use for these?

Thanks Bob and Ron for your response. I was going to use them where CCP-42 were called out in the plans. Given your wariness, I might not use them at all.