Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod ends Selecting alternatives to unobtainable/unaffordable originals

Good to hear that Bob and all is "evidence" to plead my case for the cheaper options, provided they do the job.

Have tried all suggested options and I may be able to buy a pair of the ball bearing MS21152-3 rod ends via Atlanta Air Exchange ( listed in https://www.controller.com/parts/air...tNum=MS21152-3 - see Matthew's post above ). They have quoted me $30 each (?) for new surplus, but I'm awaiting confirmation and postage to the UK, which could be a problem. Another reply from the same listing quoted me $600 for a pair(??) and I'm hoping the lady at Atlanta hasn't missed a zero off the end of her quoted price!

I'm extremely grateful for all your suggestions and will post the eventual outcome, in the unlikely event anyone else has the same problem in future.

Thanks again.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanLaw View Post
    postage to the UK, which could be a problem.
    It shouldn't be. It's NOT that expensive to ship stuff internationally. Some vendors complicate things needlessly. I ran an electronic kit business for roughly 15 years and shipped packages to most of the free world. I sent packages to the UK at least weekly. USPS First Class is cheap. Priority Mail is a few dollars more. The tracking, honestly, is really no better either way. Once in a while the UK RP will want their import duties and such, but it's not terribly expensive. The Customs form takes five minutes to fill out by hand, but I always let my Endicia software print out a combined shipping/Customs label.

On the other hand, if you have it shipped by UPS, FedEx, or DHL -- be prepared for truly outrageous shipping cost and a lot of paperwork. There's nothing more irritating than finding a great deal from a vendor who can't comprehend something as simple as dropping it in the mail instead of insisting on FedEx or UPS.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

For what its worth, if the certificating authority wants an engineering justification for substituting a different rod end, the math is not that hard. The aileron control system is loaded in simple tension and compression, the bell cranks have known mechanical ratios, and the limit case is an aileron instantaneously deflected to the max angle at Vd. That load is simple trig with the surface area of the aileron known. And multiple that value by a 1.5 safety factor. Write up your math and the specs for the available rod end(s).

Best of luck,

Wes

Many thanks for that Dale and Wes. I feel as though I may be on the home run now!

Ian