Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a DAR let me tear down and rebuild an unregistered ELSA

Will a DAR let me tear down and rebuild an unregistered ELSA

Here is the situation. I am looking at a really good deal on an 2-seat "ultralight" that never got an airworthiness or registration. It has no build logs and no way of ever getting registered as-is. However, it is built almost entirely from bolting tubes together (almost no riviting). Would it be reasonable to buy the aircraft, break it down into its original kit form, and then rebuild it with logs? Will this create any problems with a DAR?

Can't meet the major portion rule required for EAB with disassembly and reassembly.

Can register it as experimental exhibition as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Can't meet the major portion rule required for EAB with disassembly and reassembly.

Can register it as experimental exhibition as-is.
    The kit is approved 51% when delivered from the factory. If I break it down into the basic components as delivered from the factory, shouldn't it still meet the 51% rule?

I've spent a good deal of time looking into getting a Sport Pilot ticket. As I understand it, the time window for getting a 'fat' ultralight registered as a Light Sport is long gone. I stand gladly willing to be educated and make no claim to being the last word on the subject, but I 'think' you're out of luck on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by j_omega View Post
    The kit is approved 51% when delivered from the factory. If I break it down into the basic components as delivered from the factory, shouldn't it still meet the 51% rule?
    In order to register an EAB built from a NKET approved kit, you will need an FAA bill of sale from the factory for that kit, or from previous owner(s) that completes chain of ownership back to the factory. IOW's you have to show (with appropriate documentation) those parts are in fact from an "approved 51% kit"

"If more than 50% of your amateur-built aircraft was built from a kit (prefabricated parts), you must also include a kit bill of sale from the kit manufacturer.
    A regular Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2 is acceptable if the word 'Aircraft' has been marked through and the word 'Kit' entered."

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...uilt_aircraft/

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    As I understand it, the time window for getting a 'fat' ultralight registered as a Light Sport is long gone.
    You are correct with regard to registering a "fat" ultralight as an ELSA, however, I think the OP is asking if he can disassemble the plane and reassemble it, create a builder log in the process then register the plane as his own EAB aircraft.

I would talk to a DAR about it before I plunked down any money. If you get a DAR on board it might work, assuming the aircraft is an approved 51% kit, and no application for registration or AW certificate was ever sent in, and you have the Bill of Sales going back to the factory that martymayes refers to, and the DAR is willing to really stretch the rules which might jeopardize his certificate or at least his relationship with the FAA. It sounds like a long shot to me but you never know.

Just wondering out loud here....

If it's true that it's never been registered, and there is a documented chain of custody of the bills of sale from mfr onward, and the plane has never had any paperwork submitted to anyone...

If Omega COMPLETELY disassembles the entire kit, then rebuilds it, wouldn't that essentially be the same as buying an uncompleted kit or pile 'o parts from someone else? I'm not a DAR, but from a DAR perspective, they have no idea how the kit was assembled as long as build logs, photos, etc show it, and Omega can conversationally demonstrate knowledge of its construction. Same thing for an EAA Tech Counselor. If a builder calls up and requests a visit, we don't (usually) ask whether the kit was originally purchased by the builder or if they purchased it on the resale market.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

FAA Advisory Circular 103-7 specifically talks about certificating an ultralight vehicle as an amateur-built aircraft. You may want to check it out. Go to www.FAA.gov and search for AC 103-7, and look at section 2, page 15.
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Just wondering out loud here....

If Omega COMPLETELY disassembles the entire kit,
    He said it was originally approved as a 51% kit which means there had to be some "fabrication" involved. Need evidence that originally assembly fabrication was done by a person or persons for "education or recreation" cause can't disassemble the fabrication and do it over and without the fabrication component, can't meet the major portion rule.

I would register it as exp-exhibition and go fly.