Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will a DAR let me tear down and rebuild an unregistered ELSA

Out of eight SubSonex registered as of the start of this year....

One is Experimental R&D (owned by Sonex)
    Three are Experimental Amateur-Built
    Three are Experimental Exhibition (two owned by Sonex)
    One doesn't list a Certification category (N94DE)

Makes you wonder why the one guy went E-Exp when EAB is apparently attainable. I'm guessing it was one of the first builder-flown examples.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Joda View Post
    Forwarded is forearmed. That's all I'm saying. Don't waltz into the FAA office thinking that it's a done deal. Be ready to justify your application.
    I hope I didn't give the impression one could just waltz in and have it done. That was not the intent.

What was the intent was to show that there is a process. Of course, the process has to be followed which is the way the FAA works but as long as that process is followed, "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed, no reason why it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Out of eight SubSonex registered as of the start of this year....

One is Experimental R&D (owned by Sonex)
    Three are Experimental Amateur-Built
    Three are Experimental Exhibition (two owned by Sonex)
    One doesn't list a Certification category (N94DE)

Makes you wonder why the one guy went E-Exp when EAB is apparently attainable. I'm guessing it was one of the first builder-flown examples.
    EAB is absolutely attainable but they advertise on the website a "Fast build" kit option for an additional $5k which apparently ends the opportunity to qualify as EAB. If you have the money (a ~4% price increase?) and don't have time to waste toiling in a shop, why not write a check and get done faster? Unless there is some fine print in the contract, the factory is essentially saying this is a legitimate option-- that a buyer can elect to register a non-EAB version of the plane as exp-exhibition. Nobody is going to write a $100k+ check on a "maybe" you can get it registered in the exhibition category.

No doubt a turn-key option would be popular. Why get your hands dirty? Just write a check and fly off into the sunset. How long before those two factory exp-exhibition planes become customer airplanes...? humm wait a minute.....oh, nevermind.

At Airventure in July, I was told the FAA is moving to relax or eliminate the major portion rule for the factory fast builds.