Thread: What paint is used on tires at grass runways

What paint is used on tires at grass runways

We are thinking of placing tires along the edge of our runway at 200' intervals. We're wondering what sort of paint to use on tires. Thanks!

Whenever I've been part of the painting party, it's always been just whatever white or white-ish paint came to hand. Often multiple random cans poured into one five-gallon pail and stirred to a uniform shade.
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 kit sailplane project

HP-24 Project Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor

I'm thinking for that purpose either donated any kind of white or whatever totally generic white paint the Home Depot/Menards/Lowes is peddling cheapest in 5 gallon buckets..

Too easy. WhiteWall paint. Those sparkley sprinkles (Home Depot paint dept) would also be a plus.

Whitewash is cheap. (Lime or white cement and water)
    A mix of white cement and white acrylic exterior house paint might work.
    I used cement and sand ($7 bag of Thinset) mixed with green acrylic house paint on my house. Looks like stucco.

Regular housepaint sticks to tires just fine. When I used to work at a NASCAR track, we'd put a dab of colored paint on the tire at qualifying because you were required to start the race on the same tires. Some of our guys couldn't afford to buy new tires each week (or even each season in some cases), so we had to use different colors. I asked Dick Gore, our track promoter, how he got all those different colors. He said he just grabbed cans of "mismatched" paint off the clearance rack at Home Depot. Never the same color twice.

Go to your local hardware store and ask if they have any obsolete paint. I have changed paint companies (not by choice) three times in the last five yrs. Lots of half price paint sales and still a couple dozen gallons in the basement.
    We painted a Challenger that way once, very pretty red cost us $10 for the exterior latex paint. Still looked good 5 yrs later.

Come help yourself.

Ace Hardware Fort Vermilion AB