Thread: Unsafe image from eaa.

Unsafe image from eaa.

With my membership renewal in July 2018, EAA sent out a promotional folder, with panels for insurance, Ford, Visa card, etc, all ok. But the one for Avis, Budget, and Hertz shows a man standing alongside a Cessna engine cowling with his right hand holding onto the propeller. Its hard to believe that no one at EAA sees this brochure as a bad precedent of ignoring the danger of getting within the prop arc. Props can and have killed and injured people, I know of 4 cases myself. I don't think an outdoor hunting magazine would send out a photo of a member pointing a gun at his face, but this is the same kind of thing. And it sets a bad image for Young Eagles and other kids and new or non pilots to follow. I spoke to someone at EAA by phone about this last year, but obviously it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Safety can be boring next to hot topics like ADS-B, but is important.
    Thanks, Bill Greenwood
    PS and yes I know this pilot and many others are too smart to ever be hit by a moving prop, but others may not be. Ive flown planes that are started by hand propping, and ones with very large props and think awareness is vital.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-19-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Geeze, I thought this was about that picture of Hal eating fried chicken.....

Ron "That stuff'll kill you" Wanttaja

Wasn't there a similar or identical thread last year?

I haven't seen the pic, but if he's not standing where the swinging prop would actually do some damage... ::shrug:: I turn my prop several full revolutions during preflight, Not every touch of the prop is a bad touch.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Wasn't there a similar or identical thread last year?
    You're right...Bill posted an almost identical complaint, over what appears to be the same picture.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ll=1#post65061

Ron "What's that definition of insanity again?" Wanttaja

No, Dale he is not "standing where the swinging prop would actually do some damage" . that is unless you think cutting his hand off at the wrist amounts to "some damage? " And of course there are lots of folks much cooler and smarter than me, folks who carry their shotguns loaded in cars and through fences, I lost a childhood classmate that way. And folks who ride motorcycles on the road without a helmet . Or do low altitude acrobatics in a warbird, maybe without a parachute.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    With my membership renewal in July 2018, EAA sent out a promotional folder, with panels for insurance, Ford, Visa card, etc, all ok. But the one for Avis, Budget, and Hertz shows a man standing alongside a Cessna engine cowling with his right hand holding onto the propeller.
    Could be worse....

See, this is why we call, "Clear prop" before hitting the starter. Either that, or these folks need to take a remedial hand-propping course.....

Ron "It Slices! It Dices!" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 01-12-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Banned
    The girl in shorts is wearing what appears to be a rolled down nylon on her right leg--very classy look. Rapped around the top is a white thingy. Anybody know what it is?

I'll never call "clear" again without seeing this image

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    The girl in shorts is wearing what appears to be a rolled down nylon on her right leg--very classy look. Rapped around the top is a white thingy. Anybody know what it is?
    I've looked closely at her for a long time. :-) Looks like, basically, an ordinary stocking with a garter. If we assume she came to the airport wearing a skirt, she may have pulled on some athletic shorts for the picture while retaining her stockings and high heels.

She's Ethlyne Clair, a silent movie actress who often appeared as the love interest in Hoot Gibson westerns.

The man is legendary stunt pilot Al Wilson. He was flying the "Gotha" bomber (actually a modified Sikorsky) during "Hell's Angels" filming... there was a scene of it being shot down, and he put it into the spin while a stunt man in the fuselage triggered smoke pots. The Sikorsky wouldn't pull out of the spin, and Wilson bailed out. He had no way of contacting the stunt man, who rode the plane in.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=26943

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    Ron, thanks for the info and insight. I was quite curious about who she was and what became of her. She died in 1996 so had a long life. The plane, if anyone cares, from the radiator appears to be a Jenny.