Thread: Unsafe image from eaa.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unsafe image from eaa.

With my membership renewal in July 2018, EAA sent out a promotional folder, with panels for insurance, Ford, Visa card, etc, all ok. But the one for Avis, Budget, and Hertz shows a man standing alongside a Cessna engine cowling with his right hand holding onto the propeller. Its hard to believe that no one at EAA sees this brochure as a bad precedent of ignoring the danger of getting within the prop arc. Props can and have killed and injured people, I know of 4 cases myself. I don't think an outdoor hunting magazine would send out a photo of a member pointing a gun at his face, but this is the same kind of thing. And it sets a bad image for Young Eagles and other kids and new or non pilots to follow. I spoke to someone at EAA by phone about this last year, but obviously it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Safety can be boring next to hot topics like ADS-B, but is important.
    Thanks, Bill Greenwood
    PS and yes I know this pilot and many others are too smart to ever be hit by a moving prop, but others may not be. Ive flown planes that are started by hand propping, and ones with very large props and think awareness is vital.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-19-2018 at 02:24 PM.