Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EAA Biplane and Aerobatics

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamrose View Post
    So you're fine with having the fuselage fail. Or the tail failing. You just don't want the wings to fail?? Personally I don't want any failures and that means all the parts have to work together and have matched capabilities. I predict that if you cobble together a Frankenstein biplane you will not be happy with either the effort required or the results.
    Points taken and understood.I appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Unless you know the failure mode of the EAA biplane, you don't know if just replacing the wings will provide an advantage. Maybe it's not the wings that fail first...maybe it's the cabane struts, the interplane struts, the flying-wire attachment points, lower wing attachment points on the fuselage, etc. Or even the engine mount, horizontal stabilizer bracing, etc.

You said earlier that the EAA Biplane is "rated for +/-9 G"... is there any sort of supporting documentation? Test data? Years ago, a friend took over marketing of a fairly common homebuilt aircraft. He found the previous marketing chief had claimed the design was aerobatic and had published all sorts of graphs...but there was NO data to back it up. My friend suspects the previous guy made it all up to sell more airplanes.

A better question might by *why* your airplane is placarded against aerobatics if it supposedly was "rated" for 9Gs. At one point in the past, the FAA did seem to be just including "no aerobatics" as a blanket prohibition, unless the builder asked for it not to be included.

Finally, doesn't hurt to ask, but the EAA Biplane fleet is so small (71 aircraft) that you're unlikely to find one with a specific hybrid modification. AND to ask for proof of a specific degree of stress testing.....

Ron Wanttaja
    Certainly nothing positive so far, I'll wait a while longer for a Duster.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    My understanding is that to have operating limitations that "approve" aerobatics you must fly and log aerobatic figures flown during Phase I flight testing.
    Actually, you have it backwards. You must first have operating limitations that allow aerobatics, then you test and log specific maneuvers during flight testing. If your operating limitations prohibit aerobatics, you can't even legally test the maneuvers in the first place.

So, the proper procedure is to request that the operating limitations allow aerobatics if the aircraft is capable. Then, once the limitations are issues, a competent pilot may test and log various maneuvers during the phase one flight test period (or an additional flight test period at a later date). Even if the operating limitations allow aerobatics, only those maneuvers that are performed and logged during a flight test period are allowed to be performed during phase 2 operations.

I always encourage my applicants to request the aerobatic operating limitations if the aircraft is capable, even i they themselves never plan to do aerobatics. A subsequent owner can place the aircraft back into phase 1 and test maneuvers at a later time. If the operating limitations prohibit aerobatics, a subsequent owner would have to go back to the FAA and have new limitations issued in order to perform aerobatics in the aircraft. Easier to have it done right away rather than have to redo the limitations later.
    Cheers!

Joe