Thread: Zeppelin steering wheel

Zeppelin steering wheel

Hi,

I just stumbled across an eBay auction of an old steering wheel that is declared to be an original Zeppelin steering wheel. Can anyody tell me how likely it is that this piece is genuine?
    The link is here:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Origin...e/163418035760

Any information is welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

Peter

With no way to verify authenticity, I'd bid a max of $2.50.

Banned
    So I consulted my copy of "Zeppelins For Dummies" and discovered that the long dormant Zeppelin company was re-established in 1993 and has been producing new rigid airships since 2001. They have an extensive archives that can be used to gain information and verification on the authenticity of this steering wheel or anything else you ever wanted to know about Zeppelins.

A google search for Zeppelin Cockpit results in a bunch of different photos, most are for the modern production. However there are multiple links to photos of the airships from the 20's and 30's. It looks like there were many different types of wheels for the Zeppelins but here's a photo of the US Navy Airship Los Angeles. The wheel in the photo is very similar to the one on Ebay. You would think that the seller would have made an effort to authenticate the wheel before trying to sell it. The fact that there is none is offered in the ad makes you wonder why.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...photo/90744634
    Last edited by Tralika; 12-15-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralika View Post
    A google search for Zeppelin Cockpit results in a bunch of different photos, most are for the modern production. However there are multiple links to photos of the airships from the 20's and 30's. It looks like there were many different types of wheels for the Zeppelins but here's a photo of the US Navy Airship Los Angeles. The wheel in the photo is very similar to the one on Ebay.

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...photo/90744634
    The Los Angeles was *built* by Zeppelin. It was a war reparation.

Ron Wanttaja

Be a bummer to think you're getting a real Zeppelin steering wheel and it turns out just to be a steering wheel from Hitler's personal boat.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Be a bummer to think you're getting a real Zeppelin steering wheel and it turns out just to be a steering wheel from Hitler's personal boat.
    Actually, it's Blackbeard the Pirate's belt buckle. It was apparently very uncomfortable. If you asked him about it, he'd say, "It's driving me nuts!"

Ron "IBTL" Wanttaja

I really did ROTFL at that one....

I have the steering wheel from L85 shot down over Salonica May6th 1916.. If anyone wants any pictures let me know.