Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft registration

Aircraft registration

I am currently restoring a C150 that was wind damaged. The airplane was de-registered in 2015 before I bought it. The original N number will not be available until late 2020 and the airplane will be completed before then. So....... I reserved a special N number and then made the written request to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch to have that number assigned to my C150. The response was; I needed to send photos to prove that I had a "complete airplane". I sent photos of the partially assembled airplane, from different angles, plus photos of the other major components that would show it to be a "complete" airplane. My request was DENIED. I was informed that they could only approve my request after I provided photos of a "COMPLETED" airplane, as in ready to fly.

I figure that if this is the case, I would have to wait for 2 months after completion (application backlog) before I could fly it. Also, it is my desire to complete log entries and 337s in a progressive manner as major rebuild and mod items are completed. Without an assigned registration number, I cannot submit a 337.

Now..... in the homebuilt world, at what point in the EAB project, is the N number assignment commonly requested ? Are photos or build records required to register ? Does the EAB project have to be completed first ?

Frustrated
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 12-12-2018 at 02:31 PM.

I've reserved an N-number for a homebuilt under construction. It was a pile of aluminum bits. I think your mistake was in requesting that they assign the registration number to your airplane. $10 a year will reserve the N-number WITHOUT having it assigned to an airplane at all. Just ask the guys who register all the desireable registration numbers, then offer to sell them at a much higher price.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I already have my number reserved and assigned to my project and it is no where near complete

Why was the plane de-registered?

You can just reserve an n-number for no specific purpose if the one you want is available, I think it's $10. If you are trying to have an n-number assigned to a plane that's been reported as destroyed there's going to be some speed bumps in the road.
    Last edited by martymayes; 12-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Ten dollars each year. One you have a legitimate aircraft to apply it to, you get to pay $5 every three years.

[QUOTE=martymayes;73969]Why was the plane de-registered?

The last log entry states; " involved in accident rendering it beyond economical repair per insurance provisions". Yes, the airplane was classified as "destroyed / scrapped". Speed bumps confirmed !

[QUOTE=Eric Brown;74001]
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Why was the plane de-registered?

The last log entry states; " involved in accident rendering it beyond economical repair per insurance provisions". Yes, the airplane was classified as "destroyed / scrapped". Speed bumps confirmed !
    You can reserve the n-number for no particular aircraft. Pay the $10 and fill out the request "on a form and in a manner as prescribed by the administrator" and you'll at least have the number reserved so nobody else can snatch it up.

That last page in the log needs to disappear, just saying. You'll likely need a conformity check done on the plane when it's ready to go, THEN you can put the number on it and not much anyone can say about it.

I think you will need the "bill of sale" from the last registered owner, to get a usable N- number and registration.

See the FAA aircraft registration web site:

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ster_aircraft/

Cheers...

I had contacted my local FSDO for advise on this situation. He advised on how I could complete a partial 337 for my progressive work entries and then finished up with this statement;

"I would reason that you could complete the 337's with all that’s known, sign them off, and leave
    a sticky note on them with instructions to submit after it becomes an aircraft and is approved for return to service.
    Kinda stinks they won't give you the registration but too many unscrupulous people in this industry has fouled things up".
    Last edited by Eric Brown; 12-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.