Thread: Hole ranges for pull rivets

Hole ranges for pull rivets

Hello,
    I am curious as to what hole range is acceptable for blind rivets. In my particular case, I'm looking at CCP-42 and CCP-44 blind rivets. I found a mil spec (47196A) , but I believe they are referring only to solid bucked rivets, and not the pulled type. Thanks very much

https://www.engineersedge.com/rivet_application.htm

Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you're talking rivet spacing, that's usually set by the designer for the specific loads expected for the riveted part. As in, an interior part can have a wider spacing than a part subjected to flight loads. CCP 42 & 44 are both 1/8" rivets and differ only in the thickness of the parts to be riveted together, so adding a -44 in a hole designed for a -42 does nothing.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you're talking rivet spacing, that's usually set by the designer for the specific loads expected for the riveted part. As in, an interior part can have a wider spacing than a part subjected to flight loads. CCP 42 & 44 are both 1/8" rivets and differ only in the thickness of the parts to be riveted together, so adding a -44 in a hole designed for a -42 does nothing.
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the hole drilled for the rivet. Nominally, the hole is .125. However, if the hole was widened to, say .132" when removing and old rivet, do you have to upsize to a CCR-54? Thanks and hope that clears it up

I searched for “ccp-42 rivet hole specifications” and found one reference that says .122 to .128 diameter. I’m on my phone, so it’s a pain to do much more searching but the spec data is out there. In general though.. I think use a #30 drill and rock on.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I searched for “ccp-42 rivet hole specifications” and found one reference that says .122 to .128 diameter. I’m on my phone, so it’s a pain to do much more searching but the spec data is out there. In general though.. I think use a #30 drill and rock on.
    Thanks very much. Found a reference
    https://www.fastenermart.com/underst...nd-rivets.html
    Slightly different range

It also seems that all CCP-42 rivets are not the same. Something else that people need to be aware of is whether or not it is manufactured to mil standards.

I did some additional checking. NOTE: These notes are from the construction standards of my current project, and do not necessarily correlate to Sam's issue. I provide merely for informational purposes because the guidance is sitting right next to me.

From Zenith, an A4 rivet is 1/8". That translates into a 3.2mm hole in their guidance, which is 0.125984, or just very slightly larger than the .125 of a "std" 1/8" hole. Their "nominal" hole size is 3.18mm which translates to 0.1251969, a bit tighter.

The max acceptable hole diameter for materials LESS THAN 1 mm in thickness is 3.5 mm or 0.137795" For reference, 9/64" is 0.140, so you have just under 1/64" leeway.

The max acceptable hole diameter for materials GREATER THAN 1 mm in thickness goes up to 3.8 mm or 0.1496" or just under 5/32" (0.156). So if your hole is between 9/64" and 10/64" (5/32") and greater than 1mm in thickness, you're in the neighborhood of your max allowable hole. FOR A ZENITH kit, using ZENITH A-series rivets.

As fastenermart notes in the above link, the materials of the rivet body and mandrel determine a huge difference in allowable strengths. If in doubt, go to a 5/32 rivet.

Carl Orton

The wonderful thing about standards is, there are so many from which to choose!
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    The wonderful thing about standards is, there are so many from which to choose!
    Reminds me of my favorite accounting joke (and I are not one...): What would you like the numbers to show, Mr. Smith?"

Carl Orton

Thanks very much, I may not need to drill out so many holes!