Thread: Thanks for ford at eaa

Thanks for ford at eaa

Ford has long been a major sponsor for EAA at Osh or Lakeland, This year several have criticized them especially the ehibit where thy water the slippery floor and had Nascar type cars sliding around on them. I think you could sign up for rides.
    It wasn't that noisy and I didn't see any major risk of the cars breaking out of the enclosure., just folks enjoying themselves. A great addition was the bungy flying cords next door, not sure if that wad Ford but kids on it were ecstatic, nothing but laughs and grins.
    Ford had the old vintage model T and As that you could sign up and ride in free, I always though it was VIP only but not so.
    And one of the most fun and meaningful ride ever at Osh or Lakeland is the full size simulator of the first Wright Flyer. What a chance to fly a piece of history. Its really hard to fly, I wont tell you either of the 2 secrets I learned , try it yourself. After I did it I told Patti Wagstaff that she had to try it and she said she had already heard about it and how hard it was at first and she was going to wait till later when the crowd was less so as not to embarrass herself.

About the only time I thought the exhibit was too intrusive was the year they brought the free fall simulator. The giant fan was Harrier loud, but I think it was only used after the air show.
    I don't have information on what they provide to EAA, but just the custom Young Eagles car is quite significant. Yes, Ford doesn't make Tri-Motors or B-24's currently, but I think they provide a pretty significant contribution to the event, and therefore the operation of EAA, so I think some advertising and non-aviation activities is a very reasonable exchange for the benefit we all get.
    They also provide the chapter president reception. Too bad there are only a limited number of evenings, and it's at the same time as the Young Eagles dinner.
    I got some nice hats and flashlight from them too!
    Personally, I would like to see a few more fun distractions on the grounds like the antique cars, the stone age ornithopter and (unfortunately no longer there) Jerry's One Man Band.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 12-07-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Unless I am mistaken, and knowing that I will be most graciously corrected if I am, Ford also sponsors the opening music show and the fly-in theater movies.

Yes, I think AirVenture should be about the planes, but I also appreciate all of the support Ford gives to EAA. I am more than happy to make an exception to my "aviation only" stance for Ford. As far as continuing engagement in aviation, Edsel B. Ford II also owns Pentastar aviation, a charter aircraft company operating out of Waterford, MI, near Detroit.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, and knowing that I will be most graciously corrected if I am, Ford also sponsors the opening music show and the fly-in theater movies.
    I think Ford originally sponsored the movies, but it's Airbus now.
    https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pl...2c1f4a861321c1
    Although there seems to be a mislabeled photo on that page.

They can't sponsor everything. It's bad enough that our convention is called AirVenture; I wouldn't want it to be called FordVenture ®.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 12-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    I think Ford originally sponsored the movies, but it's Airbus now.
    https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pl...2c1f4a861321c1
    Although there seems to be a mislabeled photo on that page.

They can't sponsor everything. It's bad enough that our convention is called AirVenture; I wouldn't want it to be called FordVenture ®.
    Or, if Airbus is a sponsor like you say, "BusVenture."

Though I guess we might see a few of these....

Ron Wanttaja