Hi all,
I am currently 15 and working on getting my private pilot license. My dad has a Grumman AA1B, but we have always wanted something a little bit bigger (we are a big family of 7). I am very good with mechanical stuff and problem solving. I recently decided that i would like to build my own plane. I know it seems like a very ambitious project, but i am not expecting to finish it any time soon. The plane is going to be a 5 + 2 place (there will be 5 main seats and 2 removable jump seats for small people in the cargo area in the back of the cabin) low wing RG twin. My plane is going to be very heavily based on the Diamond DA-62 (it will have a straight tail). It will have a wingspan of about 33 feet, with an LOA of 26 feet. it will weigh about 3500-4000lbs and be powered by 2 (heavily) modified 13B Wankel engines from the Mazda RX-7; each engine will hopefully put out about 700bhp. The cabin and interior is heavily inspired by the Diamond DA-62, with a 3 place bench seat in the middle, and a large cargo area behind the bench seat. due to the size of the cargo area, there will be 2 removable "jump seats" that can seat people up to roughly 100lbs. I will be developing all of the systems that do not pertain to avionics myself (engine instruments, safety systems, etc.) with the help of my good friend (for all the computer related stuff). The plane has a very heavy focus on safety, with 2 fully redundant electrical systems and separate flight computers. There is a built in fire suppression system that has access to both engines, cabin and all cargo holds. The cabin is a completely sealed (not pressurized sealed, just sealed from all liquids) and there are no fuel lines that run through the cabin. The cabin is also completely encased in an aluminum structure that adds rigidity to prevent deformation in case of a crash. The 2 feet of the wing closest to the root is reinforced to prevent bending and jamming doors closed. the doors are a traditionally opened (like a Cherokee) and the frame around the door is reinforced with steel to prevent deformation. The plane will also be equipped with a trailing link, hydraulically retractable gear. the reason that I choose a trailing ink setup is because it allows the aircraft to land on rough strips without the concern on collapsing the nose gear. The flight controls are all linked to the control stick (no yoke) using control rods instead of cables; additionally, the aircraft will be fitted with a 2 stage flap system (will explain later, its complicated) that will allow the flaps to come down in more gradual notches from barely down to being a giant barn door. The plane will also be equipped with an electronically controlled spoiler system and constant speed, fully automated (no prop lever), reversing propellers. There are many other aspects that I would be happy to discuss, just let me know. I realize that it may seem like the plane is already built but it is still in the "drawing in a notebook" stage, (with a lot of dreaming).

I mentioned powering it with 2 wankel engines from the Mazda RX-7. I am wondering just how common this is (i have seen a few youtube videos on it, but only 2 or 3) and how hard it would be to do. i have browsed the rx7 forums, and given that you can get 750 bhp from a 2 rotor 13b if you push it, i do not think that 700 would be that bad. if there are other engine ideas, then please let me know. i would like to keep it above 400 hp per side and keep the cost under 15k per engine (a 13b is about 8k for a remanned one) and associated equipment. i would also like the engine to be liquid cooled and burn about 12 gph at max (preferably mogas).

if you have any pointers for me, then please let me know, because despite how much help i already have (several mechanical engineer friends are willing to help me), i am searching for any tips i can possibly find. if you have another idea, then let me know, and if there is anyone who has done anything remotely similar to what i am trying to do, then please let me know...

thanks,
Christian L.