Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a second throttle control for center stick aircraft.

Adding a second throttle control for center stick aircraft.

I'm looking for a first airplane, but I am still a student pilot. I would like something that I can recieve training in.

I have dismissed some center stick configured planes simply because they have a single throttle control (an therefore cannot be flown from the right seat). I am starting to wonder, how hard would it be to add a throttle control on the other side?

My logic suggests it would just be a matter of running a second trhottle cable, but I worry that I am overlooking something.

One may install a second throttle. It's been done.

[IMG]https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.ning.com%2Ffiles%2FGsOTZj07vnG 2VAenleMl*kncuY5aARGW7BMuSRM*9npiAmbzP1qD1XOzvclSO vtgcjlMarce6asr0RG0xspkB965y6lOHEB6%2Fbuildch70145 3.jpg%3Fwidth%3D737%26height%3D552&f=1[/IMG]

Is it as simple as I think it is?

Many (most?) of the SOCATA Rallye (and PZL Koliber) aircraft have two “left hand throttles”.
    The Left side throttle is a rod connected to a bellcrank which converts its fore and aft motion to lateral motion. There is a second Rod that goes from the left bellcrank to a bellcrank in the center. The center throttle also attaches to the center bellcrank, as does the Throttle cable which goes forward to the carb.

Ted

If it’s an e-a/b airplane, make sure you can find a CFIs and examiner willing to go along with your plan.

Quote Originally Posted by thisadviceisworthles View Post
    Is it as simple as I think it is?
    Nothing in aviation is simple.

One must wonder about the reasoning behind having a single center stick without a throttle arrangement that makes it usable from either seat.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    One must wonder about the reasoning behind having a single center stick without a throttle arrangement that makes it usable from either seat.
    Weight, simplicity, cheap, lazy, builder wants it that way so the dolt in the other seat won't have control, you're right, one must wonder.

I'm not familiar with the FAA rules but a few years ago Transport Canada published a clarification that "Dual Controls" simply meant flight controls. Up here the instructor needs a stick and rudder pedals, not necessarily brakes and throttle. Check with your instructor before purchasing the aircraft.

In any case, adding a second throttle to an E/AB aircraft can be fairly easy. Our club put one into our CH750 by simply running a second throttle cable to the carb. Moving either one moves the throttle lever at the carb which moves the other throttle cable. As long as you leave the friction lock off the second throttle is works well and smoothly.

I have seen an arrangement on some European microlights with center stick in which a single throttle cable is controlled by a torque tube behind the panel controlled by levers at either end of the panel. Here is a Best Off Sky Ranger with that arrangement including the factory-stock knobs that look like golf balls because...they are golf balls! See also this earlier thread that includes both a schematic sketch and an actual construction drawing: http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...oard-throttles

Last edited by cluttonfred; 12-18-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft