Thread: Help needed. Looking for info on Mitchell DGA-6.75

Help needed. Looking for info on Mitchell DGA-6.75

I gotta learn to stay away from auctions.
    Bought a 3/4 scale replica of Mr. Mulligan in Central Illinois and am looking for any info pertaining to the aircraft.

It was built a while ago in Michigan by a guy named Charles Mitchell, wood wing, steel tube fuselage with wood formers and stringers, O-290G converted to a D with what looks like a Sterba prop.
    Looking through to paperwork, it looks like it was done in '07 and sold to Donald Bussart near Paris, IL who has since passed away. I don't believe it ever flew but I have no confirmation. The project came with a big album full of construction pictures but no drawings. May have to find someone to do some engineering analysis on it. Anyone done that?

I would like to get it flying and would like to talk to anyone who might know something about it or knew Mr. Mitchell or Mr. Bussart.

Thanks for your time,
    Steve Jones
    KENW
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, the registration was cancelled when it expired in 2014. The FAA airman registry lists three Charles J Mitchells, one in Oxford, MI, one in Jacksonville, FL, and one "address not available". Only the one in FL has a current medical. No experimental repairman certificate.

This was the builder:

https://www.lynchandsonsoxford.com/o...#/obituaryInfo

I recall seeing the airplane for sale for a long time......drooled over it.

I would hurry and grap the n-number while it's avail.

Yeah, it's the guy from Oxford. Working on the N-number.

Steve

info on Mitchell DGA-6.75

The info so far is correct. The plane was built my Charles, a member of Chapter 13 at Ray Airport in Michigan, and he built at his home in Oxford Michigan. The picture may have been taken at Romeo Airport but more likely at a location associated with the second owner. This was a long term project which Charles and appropriately he was quite proud of it, but he never flew it. I'm not sure that he even had a license as I remember him looking for a test pilot. I do remember there being some reluctance to do so by the local characters who commonly loved to get into anything new and different. Their concerns were based on Charlies building without a set of plans to follow and the knowledge that the landing gear failed during the initial taxi test. It's great to see it again as it represents the completion of a man's dreams, his effort and his reverence for those who came before him. However, with all due respect to the man and his efforts...without a through technical/engineering review it should be placed on display and not actually flown, in my humble opinion.