Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
There's no weight limit in EAB. Perhaps you mean Light SPort?
I don't know what the reference to "weight limit in EAB" has to do with the problem of this post, but I think raytoews is describing Canadian "Owner Maintenance". Many, many years ago I went to a seminar at Airventure with the subject "Special Flight Permit, Owner Maintenance" that was available in Canada. It may have been changed since then, but at the time it was limited to certified airplanes of the size that we now call Light Sport. There was a specific list of exactly what airplanes were allowed to enter OM. It was like putting a certified airplane into the EAB category. You could do ANYTHING you wanted to do to the airplane. One of the warnings was, you can NEVER go back to certified from OM.

I would be interested to learn how this works for Canadian airplane owners.

At the time I was hoping that the FAA may allow something like that, but apparently not. In fact, the Airventure Notam in the last several years has this mention for Canadian Pilots:
"Canadian pilots flying aircraft issued a Canadian 'Flight Permit-Owner Maintenance' are prohibited from flying in the U.S."
I guess the FAA does not want anything to do with the idea.