Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single-Seater Survival Kits

I have one of these and like it a lot, used to carry it every day around my neck, it's designed to fit into an empty Altoids tin: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CR2...e-kydex-sheath A knife, tinder and spark, duct tape, whistle, signal mirror, pencil, paper, water purification tablets, a heavy-duty Ziploc bag (canteen) will all fit the Altoids tin. Add a space blanket, a tourniquet, a compression bandage, and gauze and it will all fit in a small pouch that will fit in cargo pants or a jacket pocket.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Believe me, those lines were going through my head when I first opened the old survival kit. I see a photo opportunity coming up as I assemble the new one. :-)

Two bits of trivia: The movie audio track has Major Kong saying, "...a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff," but in reality, Slim Pickens' lips say, "Dallas". They dubbed in "Vegas" after Kennedy was shot in Dallas.

Second, Major Kong was originally going to be played by Peter Sellers. They decided three roles were enough, and brought in Slim Pickens.....

Ron "Purity of Essence" Wanttaja
    ...and apparently ol' Slim didn't know it was a comedy.

From IMDB...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012...item=tr0749077

Pickens was not told that the movie was a comedy and was only shown the script for scenes he was in. As a result, Pickens played the role "straight".
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Add a small personal locator beacon and a small strobe light.

survival Kit Option. Buy a fishing vest. They have several pockets front and back.

Buy a fisherman's vest. It has many pockets for 1st aid and survival items. They cost about $15. Use a permanent marker to number each of the pockets. In pocket #1 place a table of contents sheet telling what is in all the pockets. I wear mine in the back country flights. There is room in the back for rope and a small pistol. If you carry a personal locator it should be included.
    With the vest on your body you have easy access to its contents if you are partially disabled from the crash.

Works for me...

John M

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Last weekend, I'll pulled my Fly Baby's seat out for a bit of upholstery work. Before I re-installed it, I noticed the orange survival kit attached to the lower baggage shelf behind the pilot's seat. It had come with the airplane when I bought it in 1996

The rope tieing it down was a bit loose. Started to look how to adjust it, then realized in the 22+ years I've owned this airplane, I'd NEVER taken the survival kit out and looked at it.

So I figured I'd better do that:

Wire variety of stuff, including some food items which might not still be edible and a flashlight with dead batteries. Had some stuff I didn't think was necessary, such as a set of anodized aluminum chocks.

It's a fun game, thinking about how to restock it. But something occurred to me.

Like some of us, I've got a single-seat airplane. The kit was located in a box behind the pilot's seat. If I had a bad crash and couldn't move, I wouldn't be able to get to it. Or, if I were bleeding badly, would I have enough time to crawl out, remove the seat, then reach back deep into the baggage compartment to get the kit?

So now I'm thinking of adding an "auxiliary" survival kit, within reach of the pilot. There are a couple of nooks and crannies that I think I could rig up to hold some small items.

So...what should be included? Remember, we're not talking about survival kits in general, we're talking about what's within reach of the pilot seat.

I'm thinking:

1. Survival knife (cut seat belt straps, potentially saw through cables
    2. Compress bandage, combat type - stop bleeding
    3. Parachute cord (general use, including tourniquets)
    4. Space blanket (wrap around for warmth if I can't get out)

I'm thinking of adding a signal mirror to this list, just because they're thin and easy to stow. However, this being the Seattle area, the utility is a bit less... :-)

What other ideas?

Ron "Ouch!" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by skypics View Post
    Buy a fisherman's vest. It has many pockets for 1st aid and survival items. They cost about $15. Use a permanent marker to number each of the pockets. In pocket #1 place a table of contents sheet telling what is in all the pockets. I wear mine in the back country flights. There is room in the back for rope and a small pistol. If you carry a personal locator it should be included.
    With the vest on your body you have easy access to its contents if you are partially disabled from the crash.

Works for me...

John M
    IMHO, the best idea so far. I was taught that "If it aint on you, you won't have it!" A mesh vest is more comfortable in hot climates. Get an oversized one that can be worn over outer garments in cold weather. I used to wear the same survival vest that Uncle Sam issued to me when flying Moonys, Skyhawks and Cherokees up and down the east coast. A real good item would be a signal mirror. When I was a Med Evac pilot, I was once sent out to pick up a Ranger patrol. I spotted their signal mirror well over seven miles out. I also found an item amongst my "stuff" that was issued to me when I was flying in SE Asia. Its a half yard wide by ten foot long piece of bright red guaze-y cloth. Not quite cheese cloth. Its folded and rolled up to the size of a big cigar. I carried it in the leg pocket of my flight suit. Its in my desk right now next to a couple of space blankets. It is so cheap that when I left my unit, They said to keep it. Not so the blood chit. That scrap of cloth is in effect a promissory note from the US Govt. With no limit. Strobes are a must have. Waterproof matches or disposable lighter are must haves.

Bob

Mr. Ron,
    Another Item that I would include would be a magnifying glass. It comes in handy in case you need to start a fire and all of your gear is wet.Cloudy days could be a challenge but it doesn't weigh that much so I would include one!