Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single-Seater Survival Kits

Single-Seater Survival Kits

Last weekend, I'll pulled my Fly Baby's seat out for a bit of upholstery work. Before I re-installed it, I noticed the orange survival kit attached to the lower baggage shelf behind the pilot's seat. It had come with the airplane when I bought it in 1996

The rope tieing it down was a bit loose. Started to look how to adjust it, then realized in the 22+ years I've owned this airplane, I'd NEVER taken the survival kit out and looked at it.

So I figured I'd better do that:

Wire variety of stuff, including some food items which might not still be edible and a flashlight with dead batteries. Had some stuff I didn't think was necessary, such as a set of anodized aluminum chocks.

It's a fun game, thinking about how to restock it. But something occurred to me.

Like some of us, I've got a single-seat airplane. The kit was located in a box behind the pilot's seat. If I had a bad crash and couldn't move, I wouldn't be able to get to it. Or, if I were bleeding badly, would I have enough time to crawl out, remove the seat, then reach back deep into the baggage compartment to get the kit?

So now I'm thinking of adding an "auxiliary" survival kit, within reach of the pilot. There are a couple of nooks and crannies that I think I could rig up to hold some small items.

So...what should be included? Remember, we're not talking about survival kits in general, we're talking about what's within reach of the pilot seat.

I'm thinking:

1. Survival knife (cut seat belt straps, potentially saw through cables
    2. Compress bandage, combat type - stop bleeding
    3. Parachute cord (general use, including tourniquets)
    4. Space blanket (wrap around for warmth if I can't get out)

I'm thinking of adding a signal mirror to this list, just because they're thin and easy to stow. However, this being the Seattle area, the utility is a bit less... :-)

What other ideas?

Ron "Ouch!" Wanttaja

Knife for sure something really small like Gerber LST. Bic mini. Space blanket. Light source like Petzl E-lite. Water. Compass.

The commercial survival kits come with really cheap/crappy stuff. Replace with higher quality like issue glass signal mirror for crappy one.

- One forty-five caliber automatic
    - Two boxes of ammunition
    - Four days' concentrated emergency rations
    - One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
    vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
    - One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
    - One hundred dollars in rubles
    - One hundred dollars in gold
    - Nine packs of chewing gum
    - One issue of prophylactics
    - Three lipsticks
    - Three pair of nylon stockings.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    - One forty-five caliber automatic
    - Two boxes of ammunition
    - Four days' concentrated emergency rations
    - One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
    vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
    - One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
    - One hundred dollars in rubles
    - One hundred dollars in gold
    - Nine packs of chewing gum
    - Three lipsticks
    - Three pair of nylon stockings.
    You could have a pretty good weekend in [Vegas] with that stuff.

Ron Wanttaja

Darn, FlyingRon beat me to it.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Darn, FlyingRon beat me to it.
    Anytime anyone asks about survival kits, that list is sure to be within the first 5 posts!

(And yes, I've posted the same myself )
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Anytime anyone asks about survival kits, that list is sure to be within the first 5 posts!

(And yes, I've posted the same myself )
    Believe me, those lines were going through my head when I first opened the old survival kit. I see a photo opportunity coming up as I assemble the new one. :-)

Two bits of trivia: The movie audio track has Major Kong saying, "...a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff," but in reality, Slim Pickens' lips say, "Dallas". They dubbed in "Vegas" after Kennedy was shot in Dallas.

Second, Major Kong was originally going to be played by Peter Sellers. They decided three roles were enough, and brought in Slim Pickens.....

Ron "Purity of Essence" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Reminds me of one of my favorite stories, and this is a flimsy enough excuse to tell it.

A co-worker's father was a Navy pilot in WWII. They used prophylactics to cover the pitot tubes of the airplanes.

They'd run low, so they sent our hero (a humble ensign) into town to pick up some more. He went to the drug store and bought a box holding a gross of them. That's 144, for those of us long out of grade school.

Anyway, he got back to the base. Being a Government operation, of course, they had to inventory what he'd bought, and lo and behold, there were only 143 in the box.

They sent the ensign back the next day to get the replacement. As the druggist was handing it over, he said...

"Hope it didn't ruin your night."

Ron Wanttaja

I was taught that they are included to store water- If you're not near Vegas. Don't forget survival rations: Six pack of Red Bull and a bag of Doritos.

Bob

I'm still trying to find the "Miniature Rooshian Phrase Book an Bible" combination. I have a tiny bible (well, it's just the New Testament) but haven't found the combo. I've got most of the other things ready to go.