Thread: Azusa Axle Questions (e.g. Quicksilver, etc.)

Azusa Axle Questions (e.g. Quicksilver, etc.)

Hi folks:

I'm wondering about how to use axels on Azusa wheels. I found the mini-bike axle at aircraft spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...djackshaft.php

It has a 5/8-18 thread on both ends. Can this axle be used in a main gear and not just the nose wheel? My wheels have the 5/8 ball bearings, and I'm not sure how these work with the axles. In particular, how close is the fit on the shaft diameter? Also is there a shoulder on the axle that supports the inner bearing race? If not, is a collar used on the inboard sides of the axles? I noticed the axles on aircraft spruce are keyed - is the collar keyed to them? Is there a spacer between the outboard wheel nuts and the outboard side of the wheel bearing inner races? Basically, I'm concerned about the bearing sliding on the shaft and creating another (unwanted) bearing surface.

Detailed assembly pictures (or their links) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

The reason those axles have a keyway is because Azusa advertises them for use as a jackshaft as well. Many barstool racers, karts, minibikes use a jackshaft in the drive train and need a way to drive sprockets and drive collars, hence the keyway. Azusa makes that same part with or without a keyway. Since there is no reason to have a keyway in your axle you'd probably be better off shopping at Azusa vs ACS - more variety and more competitive pricing.

Also, really don't need threads on both ends. Even in a application where the wheel is mounted to a fork support, a regular bolt will work. That's what Cessna uses. For mainwheel something with a step will work better. Something like larger tube with the axle slid into the ID and welded. I think most Quicksilvers have a continuous axle from left main to right main? Then you would have a shoulder for the bearing race because you are correct, don't want the bearing inner race to be rotating on the axle.

Also, if you're cantilevering the axle (only supporting it at one end), you're probably better off getting the Azusa wheels with 3/4" bearings. A hollow 3/4" axle will be lighter, stiffer, and stronger than a solid 5/8" axle. You can use 4130 tube for the axle, and weld a threaded stud into the end for the axle nut.

--Bob K.
    Bob Kuykendall
    HP-24 kit sailplane project

HP-24 Project Facebook Page
    http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
    EAA Technical Counselor

If you already have the wheels then it should be okay. Just plan to have the 5/8" part of the axle as a stub on the end of a larger axle that is one piece from wheel to wheel, like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What is the aplication? www.air-techinc.com has all the parts for the Quicksilver aircraft. If you know what plane you have they will have the parts.